roller pump maintanance?

/ roller pump maintanance? #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
Just bought a used 50 gallon FIMCO 3pt sprayer with roller pump. Sprayer was only used once and looks like new. Just curious what type of preventative maintanance should be done on the pump after use and while stored. I've had someone tell me to flush it with oil and have also heard to flush with antifreeze. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

jk

/ roller pump maintanance? #2  
You flush them with water...and use the proper pump with the proper chemicals...Cast Iron, NI-Resit, or Silver Series...call 800-445-8360 and ask Technical Support which pump you should be using for your applications...;)

Hypro - Super Rotor

/ roller pump maintanance? #3  
Yes, they do make some different pumps; i.e., pumps made of different material, for different chemicals or applications, but you can certainly use the cheaper cast iron pump for almost anything if you flush it with water and then leave it with either oil or antifreeze in it until you want to use it again. Personally, I used plain old Prestone antifreeze after I learned by having it corrode enough to seize. If it does seize, it's very easy to remove 4 bolts and take it apart (assuming it's a Hypro roller pump). A sandblast cabinet (mine used glass beads instead of sand) is the quickest and easiest way to clean out all the corrosion and it's easy to reassemble. After I started leaving Prestone in it, I never had another problem with it.

/ roller pump maintanance?
Bird & Paul,

Thanks for the reply. It is a hypro model 6500c pump. I flushed with antifreeze when finished a few days ago. Just didn't know if one was better than the other (antifreeze or oil). I only anticipate using it a few times each spring for broadleaf control and wanted to make sure it didn't corrode on me while sitting the rest of the year. Antifreeze seems a little less messy than oil. Thanks again.

jk

/ roller pump maintanance? #5  
I use non-poisonous RV antifreeze and it seems to work fine. I don't use mine much but do spray Roundup with a cast iron series which is a no-no. I have had them freeze up in the past but not now. Flush when done, add RV AF and call it good.

/ roller pump maintanance? #6  
sixdogs said:
I use non-poisonous RV antifreeze and it seems to work fine. I don't use mine much but do spray Roundup with a cast iron series which is a no-no. I have had them freeze up in the past but not now. Flush when done, add RV AF and call it good.

The RV antifreeze would, of course, prevent freezing, but of course an empty pump couldn't freeze. And leaving the pump full of any liquid would keep out the air that contributes to rust, but the regular old fashioned auto antifreeze contains some lubricant. So I'm a little surprised that the RV antifreeze works very well.

I guess the only thing I ever used my pump for was RoundUp, Diazinon, and Malathion.

/ roller pump maintanance? #7  
Bird said:
The RV antifreeze would, of course, prevent freezing, but of course an empty pump couldn't freeze. And leaving the pump full of any liquid would keep out the air that contributes to rust, but the regular old fashioned auto antifreeze contains some lubricant. So I'm a little surprised that the RV antifreeze works very well.

I guess the only thing I ever used my pump for was RoundUp, Diazinon, and Malathion.

Beats me but it works and has worked longer than --5 years-- other methods I have tried. I spray Roundup substitute and 2-4-D. I always add some liquid detergent to the spray mix as a surfactant. Maybe something there but it works so I'm OK with it .

/ roller pump maintanance? #8  
sixdogs said:
Beats me but it works and has worked longer than --5 years-- other methods I have tried. I spray Roundup substitute and 2-4-D. I always add some liquid detergent to the spray mix as a surfactant. Maybe something there but it works so I'm OK with it .

Never argue with success.:D As long as it works, that's all that matters.

/ roller pump maintanance? #9  
Bird said:
Never argue with success.:D As long as it works, that's all that matters.

Good advice Bird. Over the years I have, through trial and error (mostly error) found ways that work but are in conflict with conventional wisdom. you know what I mean. Sort of like the aerodynamics of the bee that doesn't know he is not supposed to be able to fly.
A lot to be said about trial and error.

/ roller pump maintanance? #10  
This thread interests me, after having one pump seize (see below) and just got a new one. So, do you disconnect the hoses, remove the pump, flush it with water, and then fill it with antifreeze (I use the "safe" AF too)? Do you just let it sit like that someplace out of the way, with the ends open? Or do you plug it up with something?

I had a pump (Hypro) seize as well, but after cleaning it and replacing the rollers, we couldn't get the thing back together again. The two large pieces didn't quite fit anymore -- it wouldn't shut. Weird.

Bird said:
Yes, they do make some different pumps; i.e., pumps made of different material, for different chemicals or applications, but you can certainly use the cheaper cast iron pump for almost anything if you flush it with water and then leave it with either oil or antifreeze in it until you want to use it again. Personally, I used plain old Prestone antifreeze after I learned by having it corrode enough to seize. If it does seize, it's very easy to remove 4 bolts and take it apart (assuming it's a Hypro roller pump). A sandblast cabinet (mine used glass beads instead of sand) is the quickest and easiest way to clean out all the corrosion and it's easy to reassemble. After I started leaving Prestone in it, I never had another problem with it.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2017 International HX620 Truck (A33544)
2017 International...
4 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
4 Yard steel end...
Landhonor Diesel Fuel Pump Transfer Pump (A32932)
Landhonor Diesel...
Cwi Module Builder (A33041)
Cwi Module Builder...
2000 Ford Ranger Pickup Truck, VIN # 1FTZR15V4YTB35077 (A32908)
2000 Ford Ranger...
2011 John Deere 7130 (A33526)
2011 John Deere...