road sweep rebuild

/ road sweep rebuild
Defective said:
Nice, thorough coverage on the inside of that scoop Renze... :rolleyes:

If i really cared about them paint runners, i wouldnt have showed the photo here ;)
Its on the inside, so nobody sees it once in use... :)

bob_wood said:
It would be real good if you could make an action video of the sweeper at work. Im very interested in seeing how the dust pan works and how it dumps when full.

i took most pics with my Nokia 3110, which explains their... reasonable.. ;) quality. My old digicam can take small movies, but dont expect too much of it when i try.. :)

bob_wood said:
Is that your buggy I see in the background ?? Think i saw one like it in Mad Max Thunderdome ?? :) Is that You or your friend with the paint sprayer?

yes, and: yes.
No time for buggies now though, i have new brakes for the 5245 on shelf for about a year, but havent got time to install them yet.

/ road sweep rebuild #22  
very impressive Renze!

My family is from outside Arnhem - (velp) (the ones who stayed) - where is the Steernbos?

/ road sweep rebuild
Charlesaf3 said:
very impressive Renze!

My family is from outside Arnhem - (velp) (the ones who stayed) - where is the Steernbos?

its a forest (bos) east of the line between Zwolle and Deventer, Dalfsen to be precise.

/ road sweep rebuild
got the frame painted this morning:

first sprayed some "right over rust" Hammerite primer over the longitudinal frame tubes, because these were quite rusty.
(i cleaned the most of it with a wire brush already, "right over rust" i take it for what its worth ;) )
Then i sprayed it all again with black Hammerite. Its about 27 euro for a 0.75 liter can, but it promises to hold better on rusty surfaces.
I didnt want to use the cheap black varnish, because i am afraid it will remain sticky in the sun... dont know about its surface appearance either.

Because of the poor light in the workshop, i'm not 100% sure of the paint coverage, but i just need to get things done now, or my summer holiday will be over without having a day off ;)

Attachments

• Afb000.jpg
    Afb000.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Afb001.jpg
    Afb001.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Afb002.jpg
    Afb002.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 91
   / road sweep rebuild #25  
from what I can see in the pictures, the sweeper is looking real good ! Anxious to see it all together and Working ;) Thanks for posting .

bob

/ road sweep rebuild
got something visible today:
We assembled all parts, so the machine could be set outside, in the sun for the paint to cure and harden. I didnt tighten the bolts yet, it has to wait till the paint is tough enough.

Attachments

• Afb000.jpg
    Afb000.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Afb002.jpg
    Afb002.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Afb003.jpg
    Afb003.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Afb004.jpg
    Afb004.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Afb005.jpg
    Afb005.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 124
   / road sweep rebuild #27  
Renze

That machine looks better than factory made !! Good job.

Is the chain and clevis going to be heavy enough to handle the top link load ???:eek: ;)

Bob

/ road sweep rebuild
bob,

normal toplinks suffer most from compression forces, making them kink (i did that quite often before i had a front loader, using the 3pt hitch bucket to dig holes so deep that they could bury the tractor ;)
A chain doesnt take up any compression forces, so i think this chain will be ok.

Regarding the force (500 kg ?) and the arm, i expect a max. static load of 1000 kg on the chain: Chains for lifting (not towing) allways are rated with a safety factor of 4, which means that if they are rated for 1 ton workload, they can handle 4 ton before they break.

I cant find exact specs on the chain, but chains that are close, are rated 3 to 4 ton... So i'm not too worried about that.

/ road sweep rebuild #29  
Renze said:
.......Snip.....
Larry,
regarding your concern:
In pic number 5 you can see, these are not standard duty Harbor Freight casters !!! The whole caster assembly weighs about 10 kg, and the bolt plate is 3/8" thick !
Are you still concerned ?? ;)

Renze,
Those casters are super heavy duty! nothing like the Harbor Freight crap we get around here. How is it you guys in Holland always get the good stuff :confused:

I still have one concern though - your camera! It must be from Harbor Freight because it takes such crappy pictures :rolleyes: . Your road sweep project come out great and deserves better. Nice work Renze, it's super heavy duty :D OK now, how much to ship it over here to me?

Larry

/ road sweep rebuild
Larry, this company also sells cheap stuff like Harbor Freight, but when i called them, i just got what i asked for, and payd what i asked for :D

97,50 Euro per caster, thats WITH 50% rebate which i get when buying via my employer :)
It costs something, but then you've got something ;)

Other Dutch manufacturers ask about 2800 euro, for a machine with half the steel in it... (no frame, the sweep cover acts as frame) I think if i'd sell them commercially, i should ask 3500 Euro at least..
I'm glad i bought this 3011 as a chores tractor, because my brothers 2011 wouldnt be able to lift it anymore ;)

Sweeping close to barns, is a pain with the superwide cab with mirrors, on the 5245.

My crappy camera is a Nokia 3110 with a broken dust glass: so all dirt gets to the lens.
I think the paint is hardened enough to use it to clean the pavement before the weekend... I'll take my HP digicam and see if i can get some better photos and perhaps a little video...