rk55 blowing headlight fuses

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses #1  

RK55guy

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 RK55
hello everybody. i am new to the forum and owning a tractor. i have been around and used tractors all my life but i never had to work on them. i always used other peoples tractors to do work for them. now i have bought a new rk55 from rural king. the day i brought it home and was checking everything out the headlights did not work. i found that it had a blown fuse. i replaced the fuse and as soon as i hit the switch it popped again. there is more to this story but has anyone had this happen on an rk,tym or mahindra. i think that all 3 of these tractors in this size are pretty much the same. any info would be greatly appreciated as rural king is 1 1/2hrs from me and id rather fix it that haul it up and back. thanks again.

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses #2  
do you know how to use a multi-meter to do some electrical troubleshooting?

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses #3  
Start at the light switch or the headlights, whichever is easier, and follow the wires as best you can to the other end. There's a good chance that one of them is pinched somewhere. You can also unplug the headlights and see if the problem still persists. Ditto for taillights if you have them and they don't work either.

I agree something happened to a wire and is shorting out.

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses
i can use a miltimeter but i cant fool with it til thursday, my tractor lives about 45 mins from me. i havent done any troubleshooting yet just thought if anyone else had this problem and got it fixed. being a brand new tractor, i thought maybe it could be the switch or a faulty bulb socket etc. i will do some testing thursday and give updates. if it gives me too much trouble i will let the warranty take care of it. thanks for the info.

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses
no, not yet. i will post as soon as i figure something out. im off work tomorrow so i might get to then

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses #7  
Check wires at the headlight connection and pull the headlights both out, if it’s a pig tail style headlight, it may be grounding to the headlight lens. Just double check all wiring and connections like mentioned by others. RK should be able to warranty any issues or parts that may need swapped.

/ rk55 blowing headlight fuses #8  
I my 24, there is a connection under the hood....I would disconnect at that point, and turn headlights on...if the fuse blows, you know its between the dash and the connection...if it doesn;t you know it;s between the connection and the head lights......