RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #1  

CornettoTrifecta

Tractor
RK37HC
Hey all, I'm wondering what the final ballpark weight and length of this tractor (RK37HC Hydrostatic+cab) might come in at with the loader and backhoe installed. I'm getting 3450 lbs. for the tractor, 1052 lbs. for the loader and 1340 lbs. for the backhoe from the RK tractor website. At first, I added this up and thought hey! I could trailer this thing on a light 7500 lb. GVWR trailer! But then I remembered the Rim guard in the tires, and I don't think this is included in the above weights & measures, even though it's a standard feature with the loader. Do one of the resident RK experts have the final length and weight I can expect from a RK37HC with a cab, loader, and backhoe? I'd be getting R1 Ag tires if that changes the final volume of the ballast.

There is a separate callout in the RK37HC Brochure of "1610 lbs." that I think might be a reference the loaded tires, but I'm not 100% sure. I retrieved the other weights from the overall lineup brochure. *edit: not enough privileges to post links to the brochures yet!

Thanks!

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #2  
Hey all, I'm wondering what the final ballpark weight and length of this tractor (RK37HC Hydrostatic+cab) might come in at with the loader and backhoe installed. I'm getting 3450 lbs. for the tractor, 1052 lbs. for the loader and 1340 lbs. for the backhoe from the RK tractor website. At first, I added this up and thought hey! I could trailer this thing on a light 7500 lb. GVWR trailer! But then I remembered the Rim guard in the tires, and I don't think this is included in the above weights & measures, even though it's a standard feature with the loader. Do one of the resident RK experts have the final length and weight I can expect from a RK37HC with a cab, loader, and backhoe? I'd be getting R1 Ag tires if that changes the final volume of the ballast.

There is a separate callout in the RK37HC Brochure of "1610 lbs." that I think might be a reference the loaded tires, but I'm not 100% sure. I retrieved the other weights from the overall lineup brochure. *edit: not enough privileges to post links to the brochures yet!

Thanks!

Even without RimGuard your empty trailer weight would have to be less than 1658 lbs.

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #3  
I don't think I've heard of a 7500# trailer -- most are 7000# since they use tandem 3500# axles.

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL
Even without RimGuard your empty trailer weight would have to be less than 1658 lbs.

Yup, same as I was getting. Now my empty trailer scales at 1450 lbs., it's a 16' 7500lb stamped trailer from the 70's. Still a no-go if the RimGuard isn't included in the weight. It's nice to scoot equipment on a smaller trailer in town and onto smaller properties/driveways, but even if I drop the backhoe it seems too close for comfort for me, by the time you add the spare tire and toolbox on the trailer, tractor bits and bobs, etc. My 15k bumper pull is 20' and it'll work no problem and it looks like that's the way to go on this tractor configuration. Depending on the trailer, a 10k might even be pushing the limits on these little porkers!

I don't think I've heard of a 7500# trailer -- most are 7000# since they use tandem 3500# axles.
The trailer I've got is an old one, but it is stamped 7500 lbs. on the tag. Otherwise, you're right, I normally see 7000 pound landscape and car trailers these days with the dual 3500# axles. The Uhaul auto trailers are 7500 lb. trailers as well.

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #5  

I have always wondered about that.
With two 3500 lb. axes, and carrying at least 500 lbs. on the tongue, is it legal to have a 7500 lb. gross?

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #6  
6500 base tractor + probably 800-1000# of rim guard + a few hundred # for fluids (ballpark) puts you at about 7000lbs tractor weight with NO implements on the back. Even a 10k trailer is barely going to make it after you add trailer weight and a rear implement. Then you need a vehicle to pull it safely...

Update: Sorry just read you already have a larger trailer so you have something to pull it!

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #7  
I have always wondered about that.
With two 3500 lb. axes, and carrying at least 500 lbs. on the tongue, is it legal to have a 7500 lb. gross?

Not in CO. Gross is gross. If you go over it at the weigh station, it is against the law. As a non commercial you dont have to weigh just stating the rules.

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #8  
Not in CO. Gross is gross. If you go over it at the weigh station, it is against the law. As a non commercial you dont have to weigh just stating the rules.

OK....so 7000 lbs. on two 3500# lb axles, and 500 lb. on the tongue=7,500 gross
The axles are rated for a total of 7000 lbs. combined, and the tongue/hitch is carrying 500 lbs.
Nothing is loaded beyond it's weight rating.

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL #9  
RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL

Trailers are left hooked up to vehicle to weigh, some tongue weight will now be on the tow vehicle.

/ RK37HC Trailering Weight & OAL
I think honestly it's going to come down to how your trailer manufacturer rated the trailer. You might have two 3500# axles and it could be stamped 7000 gross, or 7500, or 7700. I know a local manufacturer here, Quality Trailer, makes several different configurations on equipment trailers, some are maxing out the axle GAWR and adding tongue weight to the stamped GVWR, and the pro duty series seem to have heavier frames and under-rate their GVWR stamp for more safety factor, when compared to the general duty stuff. They sell a 12k "general duty" gooseneck for instance that is a 12k stamped trailer with two 5k axles, and the caveat in the literature is "with 2k on the pin."

That said, if your trailer is 2x 3500# and only stamped 7k, I wouldn't personally exceed that trailer GVWR - the tongue may not have been engineered for the extra total weight for instance. You might pass the scales ok, but an overzealous DOT cop could just as easily put the portables under your tongue jack if they really wanted to I suppose. Plus, if I'm hauling multiple tens of thousands in shiny new equipment, a little extra safety margin makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable. :thumbsup: