RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #1  

HenthornHill

Tractor
RK24
Hey all -

New to the forum, and looking at purchasing a RK24 or 37 to maintain my 20 wooded acres of property in southern Indiana. As much as I love the 37, I like the pricetag on the 24 more, but have one very specific concern: I have to maintain a gravel driveway with a 19 degree/35% slope, and am concerned if the 24 will be able to pull a box scraper up that angle without issue. Any thoughts from the group?

Other uses for the tractor are general firewood processing, brush hogging, trail maintenance, etc.

Thanks!

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #2  
Very few tractors will pull a blade of any type up that grade while using it,
you may be able to fill a box blade and carry it up,
but even that is doubtful.
Also verify that the tractor you are looking at can pull those slopes without having oiling problems.
That information can be difficult to find.

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question
Thanks for the response - and apologies, since I'm new to the tractor scene - "oiling problems"? Not sure I've heard that term before...problems related to an oil pump trying to pull at those angles?

Also, I should have clarified, the 35% grade is only about 30' of drive...the rest of it is ~10%.

thanks again!

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #4  
Yes, oiling problems would primarily be engine associated but they could also be hydraulic associated.
If a steep grade allows the engine or hydraulic pump to suck air instead of fluid severe problems will result.
My driveway has a 16 degree slope or about 25% in several areas.
The first tractor I used a lot on it was an Oliver 1550 if I didn't keep the engine 2guarts over full it would suck air and you could see the oil pressure gauge bounce,
when using the hydraulics it didn't bother as much because of the way the reservoir and pickup was.
When I refreshed that engine I did add a deep sump and extended oil pump pickup to it which cured the engine oil issue.

My Branson 8050 I have never seen the oil light flicker but I run her a quart over just for piece of mind and I run the hydraulics a few gallons over full.
Even with a 10,000 pound tractor I can not pull much material up the hill at a time.
With a box blade just half full and trying to trim and level going up grade she will be digging and chewing with all 4 tires which is not conductive to good leveling.
All of my finish grading is working down hill, up would be preferable as gravity always moves the material down hill and it is needed up the hill.

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #5  
Hey all -

New to the forum, and looking at purchasing a RK24 or 37 to maintain my 20 wooded acres of property in southern Indiana. As much as I love the 37, I like the pricetag on the 24 more, but have one very specific concern: I have to maintain a gravel driveway with a 19 degree/35% slope, and am concerned if the 24 will be able to pull a box scraper up that angle without issue. Any thoughts from the group?

Other uses for the tractor are general firewood processing, brush hogging, trail maintenance, etc.

Thanks!

The cardinal rule of tractors: "BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR"!
If you buy the RK24, you will shortly thereafter buy the RK37, or larger.
Then you will be looking for a buyer for the used RK24.
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR .....the FIRST time!!

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #6  
Mine is essentially the same size as the 24 and I would not consider trying to drag a box blade behind it up any kind of hill. These are garden tractors on steroids, not real pulling machines.

You should consider blue though while shopping.

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #7  
Selling a practically new RK24 in the middle of winter is going to suck. You should just get the bigger machine and save yourself the hassle :)

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #8  
10% or 5.7 degrees isn't too bad. Just cary gravel up with the loader if needed and grade down. Any possibility of smoothing out the 30 foot steep section? The RK 24 is a subcompact with a decent weight. Something a frame size bigger with bigger wheels might be better. Very good prices on the RK tractors.

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #9  
The 37 is way more tractor than the 24 for that much ground get the 37. I have the mahindra 2538 witch is the same as the rk 37. it is a real workhorse.

/ RK24 vs 37: Steep gravel driveway question #10  
Those are both nice tractors but a world of difference between them. The lift capacity on the 37 is amazing for size and would be very handy if you’re doing any type of tree work.
As far as the driveway goes no matter what you buy your going to struggle dragging material up that slope. It’s going to make a lot more sense to use the front and loader to carry the material up to the top and drag it downhill.
My last tractor was about the size of the 24 and I loved it and it was fantastic but I currently have a tractor about the size of the 37 and I am very happy with it. If I had to do it again I would definitely buy 37’s frame size not the smaller.