Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,383  
I begging to think there is an axe to grind here...why such focus and hate on a group of like 10 people in the US?
I agree.

It's okay to illegally immigrate and this country would be doomed without it. But for Lord's sake we gotta get a grip on taxing religious organizations!!!! :sneaky:

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,384  
I don't much care about taxes, so much as I don't respect the theology of the ultra wealthy get-rich-quick 'Prosperity Gospel' televangelists. But I guess there are only ten of them, per a post above.

A longtime acquaintance has taken them as gospel for years - and has two bankruptcies to show for it plus they refused to redeem the 'church bonds' he paid a lot of money for. We've seen his relatives pitch in when they couldn't afford groceries.

I believe he has been manipulated to make someone rich by misleading his religious faith. I hope there aren't too many more like him.

And this is directly related to retiring with sufficient funds.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,387  
The Constitution and Bill of Rights is fantastic but the founding fathers couldn't envision how people could take advantage of things which is why we have the Supreme Court to interpret the original meaning. I don't believe it's envy or jealousy but pushing the envelope isn't right. Where to draw the line is tough.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,388  
Meh... they will get what's coming to them.

James 3:1 said:
Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,389  
The Constitution and Bill of Rights is fantastic but the founding fathers couldn't envision how people could take advantage of things which is why we have the Supreme Court to interpret the original meaning. I don't believe it's envy or jealousy but pushing the envelope isn't right. Where to draw the line is tough.

Housing Allowance​

"A minister who is furnished a parsonage may exclude from gross income the fair rental value of the parsonage, including utilities. However, the amount excluded can't be more than reasonable compensation for the minister's services."

Somehow I think the IRS knows the fair market value on any property and will only allow the "rent" to be tax excluded. Mega mansions and the land are taxed above and beyond the fair market value.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,390  
The Fisher Investment guys sure are persistent. I just got another call from their Camas, WA headquarters. I had an appointment with them about 9 years ago and I have since told them over the phone and by email that I do not intend to use their services. About 6 months ago I made the mistake of responding to a Fisher email thinking it was Fidelity (one I do use). Like kicking the top off an ant hill with these guys.

Edit... right after posting the above, I get an email from Fisher. I think I may have to block them. :unsure:

Last edited: