Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #841  
Unless independently set the best rank and file retirements are my friends in public safety...

Not a one under 100k package and a few at 200k or more.

The old retirement program was even better... some in retirement receiving 250% of highest earning years decades ago as these pensions tied to what current position pays...

No one in my family has ever had a pension and I'm poised to be the first with a modest 403B when my company was acquired 7 years ago...

The target date retirement funds have sure taken a shellacking this year.

Choices limited but the one off the carts performer is the Real Estate fund but no exposure in that one with target date fund.

The Stay the Course info is already geared upped...

Had not heard much I .the last 24 months but now hearing at least weekly...

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #842  
Unless independently set the best rank and file retirements are my friends in public safety...

Not a one under 100k package and a few at 200k or more.

The old retirement program was even better... some in retirement receiving 250% of highest earning years decades ago as these pensions tied to what current position pays...

No one in my family has ever had a pension and I'm poised to be the first with a modest 403B when my company was acquired 7 years ago...

The target date retirement funds have sure taken a shellacking this year.

Choices limited but the one off the carts performer is the Real Estate fund but no exposure in that one with target date fund.

The Stay the Course info is already geared upped...

Had not heard much I .the last 24 months but now hearing at least weekly...
My father did not have a pension, just SS and savings. But he got my mom's pension when she passed away. She was a teacher. I had a pension AND 401k at my last employer. They gave me a lump payout on the pension when they 'retired' me. I rolled the 401k into my current employer's 401K. And both of us have ROTH IRA's. My wife had a pension and 403b at her job. They stopped the pension and rolled it into the 403b somehow. Both of my in-laws have(had) pensions. My wife's brother has a pension but his wife does not. My wife' sister has a 401k. Three of my 4 siblings have pensions of their own. My 4th sibling has their deceased spouse's pension. I think they all have 401k's and/or IRAs, too.

One of our two children has a 401k, and both have ROTH IRAs.

So, the vast majority of people that we know over 60 have pensions, and almost everyone of working age has at least a ROTH IRA, and most likely a 401k as well.

None of us are counting on SS to be there when we retire. Anything we get from than will be unexpected gravy.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #843  
I ended up with two 401k’s and the lump sum payout on a 24 year credited pension. Rolled all three asap into an IRA at Vanguard when allowed. Also an unneeded cash value life insurance policy that was prepaid about 10 years in advance. My boss’s way of funding a little extra for our retirement. Poor method but I didn’t complain. :giggle:

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #844  
When I took over managing my last employer’s profit sharing plan in 2011 it was a mess. 62% of $23 million ($14M) was in the default money market fund. 18 months later it was down to less than 1/2 percent. I hired some advisory help to get us legal and diversified into mostly target date funds. Whew. ERISA could have nailed our butts.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #845  
My father did not have a pension, just SS and savings. But he got my mom's pension when she passed away. She was a teacher. I had a pension AND 401k at my last employer. They gave me a lump payout on the pension when they 'retired' me. I rolled the 401k into my current employer's 401K. And both of us have ROTH IRA's. My wife had a pension and 403b at her job. They stopped the pension and rolled it into the 403b somehow. Both of my in-laws have(had) pensions. My wife's brother has a pension but his wife does not. My wife' sister has a 401k. Three of my 4 siblings have pensions of their own. My 4th sibling has their deceased spouse's pension. I think they all have 401k's and/or IRAs, too.

One of our two children has a 401k, and both have ROTH IRAs.

So, the vast majority of people that we know over 60 have pensions, and almost everyone of working age has at least a ROTH IRA, and most likely a 401k as well.

None of us are counting on SS to be there when we retire. Anything we get from than will be unexpected gravy.
On my side mostly self employed... farmers, small business, commission...

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #846  
Today I reflect on my past. I have been most fortunate. I was able to and did retire early.……
What is “early.”

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #847  
Well, my retirement funds look like hell the past 12 months 🙄

If this is the strongest economy ever, I’d like to go back to below average.
No u wouldn’t. There are always temporary dips. Think long term. How can a stock market just keep going up for ever? Unrealistic. Patience. If i told u how long term patience has worked for me you’d fall off your chair.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #848  
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #850  
But what really scares me is the 12-20 year olds right now. I'm not seeing even interest in the opposite sex let alone dating etc. Very odd to me.
We don’t want them procreating. Trust me.