Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
Not sure if this was posted yet...
While doing my yearly SS check in, something else to plan for...

The Social Security taxes you pay go into the Social Security Trust Funds that are used to pay benefits to current beneficiaries. The Social Security Board of Trustees estimates that, based on current law, the Trust Funds will be able to pay benefits in full and on time until 2034. In 2034, Social Security would still be able to pay about $780 for every $1,000 in benefits scheduled. Learn more at www.ssa.gov/people/materials/pdfs/EN-05-10229.pdf.
This was the main reason I went for the 32% monthly cash bonus option instead the FRA amount at age 66.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #862  
^^^ Health/Injury is the great gamble we all face...

Cousins uncle was out farming with his Fendt tractor and did not come home for lunch... he had a heart attack but up to then no medical issues.

Everyone was saying how fortunate???

Then I learned his wish was when his time comes to go out strong.

Yesterday home from work set to go for a 3.3 mile loop walk with mom at her favorite trail.

I heard a noise from her bedroom and she had fallen... never fallen and of all places her bedroom of 63 years.

Lost a lot of blood from head gash on dresser... I called first time ever 911... which was first rate.

At hospital learned she fractured pelvis... in addition to spine trauma...

It only takes a moment for life to change when you least expect it...

Falls at at the top when it comes to injury with seniors more so...

Be careful out there.
Hope she recovers quickly. (y)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
Many Americans Missing an Opportunity to Prevent Dementia

I was about 63 before the 2x4 over the head made me real realize my health span/life span was modifiable but that I had to want life with health and act that way for it to happen for me.

It was my spiraling down in front of my young teenage son and daughter that finally woke me up.

My son is married and leaving for Iowa Sunday for a summer internship and the daughter married a couple months ago and moved out. I am glad I no longer need a power chair at Walmart.

Well our 10 hay to fertilize machines are calling.as well as the dogs want to run.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #866  
Not sure if this was posted yet...
While doing my yearly SS check in, something else to plan for...

The Social Security taxes you pay go into the Social Security Trust Funds that are used to pay benefits to current beneficiaries. The Social Security Board of Trustees estimates that, based on current law, the Trust Funds will be able to pay benefits in full and on time until 2034. In 2034, Social Security would still be able to pay about $780 for every $1,000 in benefits scheduled. Learn more at www.ssa.gov/people/materials/pdfs/EN-05-10229.pdf.
This is why it might be wiser if you do retire early, to sign up for SS and keep your savings for later. Plus the latter will continue to grow.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #867  
Same here, she is a TBN member by association.
Please keep us posted.
This evening was a bright spot...

Was able to have her transfered to skilled nursing which is hard due to staff shortages many are not accepting placement.

Earlier in the day was down... the Palliative Doc called and said just completed his exam and not good...

She was not eating and very frail and not responsive...

He could not believe she walks everyday and at least once a week we do a 3.3 mile loop at the lake... just wanted to prepare me for the probability skilled nursing facilities refuse to accept.

I sent him a short 10 seconds of last week's lake walk and said how can this be the person he just examined?

Mom suffered concussion, moderate blood loss which was my concern followed by the pelvic fracture ER visit discovered.

I met mom at the skilled nursing with mom's friend Mary hoping for the best and she immediately perked up... saying she thought she would never see us again.

Concussion, COVID restricting entry, no visitors, trauma, etc...

Mary took charge, making contact with the nurse, getting a tuna sandwich, pitcher of warm water the way mom likes it and a coffee mug...

Mom said she was so thirsty and hungry when Mary said time to eat...

COVID really hits a lot of elderly particularly hard... being cut off from loved ones and just the warmth of human contact... then add hospital isolation.

Sometimes the best medicine is as simple as familiar faces happy to see you spending time together... with a few familiar Dean Martin songs thrown in...

Of course no vaccine no entry... non negotiable... then add symptom and temp screening and getting past the charge nurse.

Thank you for keeping her in your prayers... this evening was truly a blessing...

She worried about paying for all this... to which I said everything in this hotel is paid for so enjoy the service.

Last edited:
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #868  
This evening was a bright spot...

Was able to have her transfered to skilled nursing which is hard due to staff shortages many are not accepting placement.

Earlier in the day was down... the Palliative Doc called and said just completed his exam and not good...

She was not eating and very frail and not responsive...

He could not believe she walks everyday and at least once a week we do a 3.3 mile loop at the lake... just wanted to prepare me for the probability skilled nursing facilities refuse to accept.

I sent him a short 10 seconds of last week's lake walk and said how can this be the person he just examined?

Mom suffered concussion, moderate blood loss which was my concern followed by the pelvic fracture ER visit discovered.

I met mom at the skilled nursing with mom's friend Mary hoping for the best and she immediately perked up... saying she thought she would never see us again.

Concussion, COVID restricting entry, no visitors, trauma, etc...

Mary took charge, making contact with the nurse, getting a tuna sandwich, pitcher of warm water the way mom likes it and a coffee mug...

Mom said she was so thirsty and hungry when Mary said time to eat...

COVID really hits a lot of elderly particularly hard... being cut off from loved ones and just the warmth of human contact... then add hospital isolation.

Sometimes the best medicine is as simple as familiar faces happy to see you spending time together... with a few familiar Dean Martin songs thrown in...

Of course no vaccine no entry... non negotiable... then add symptom and temp screening and getting past the charge nurse.

Thank you for keeping her in your prayers... this evening was truly a blessing...

She worried about paying for all this... to which I said everything in this hotel is paid for so enjoy the service.
Thanks for the update, my wife's mom is 97, still living alone so I follow your "mom" reports closely.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #869  
Thanks for the update, my wife's mom is 97, still living alone so I follow your "mom" reports closely.
Yep. My father in-law passed a year ago November in his 90's. My mother in-law is still ticking at 83. Most of our friends' parents are all in their late 80's and 90's in varying conditions of physical and mental health, and all of us keep up on others' experiences to help us deal with our folks as they age.

We appreciate anything that anyone shares on those topics, plus, a bunch of them have lived interesting lives. (y)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #870  
The truth is TBN members share a wealth of information of life experience.

Tractor not starting, clearing land, construction, equipment reviews, business advice or aging... it's all here.

Advance Directives and who you want making decisions are so important should the unthinkable happen... it's worth the time to have the discussion even when you and your spouse are on the same page because both of you could find yourselves incapacitated at the same time.