Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,691  
I had everything with Schwab for a while. But they continued to show me that they were sitting on their own shoulders...

For over 2 years they mis-reported the assets in my accts (by a LOT). Statements weren't worth the paper they were printed on.

Moved everything to Fidelity. Happy as a clam. Great customer service. Good advice if you need it, and a user friendly website to do almost anything you want with your investments.

Vanguard has joined the "woke" brigade...big time. I've moved any money at Vanguard out to other alternatives, and there are plenty.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,692  
Thanks for the feedback on Fidelity vs Vanguard, I will keep that in mind. I do like the advisor that I have at Vanguard better, so that will make it more difficult. I will probably stay put as is for another 6 months or so and then do a comparison of actual performance. I started using their advisors about 1-1/2 years ago, I managed everything myself prior to that. Whichever does better in this market passes the acid test. I do have some in T.Rowe Price (non managed), but I like the other's websites better.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,693  
That is unfortunate. My SIL works for Fidelity and I don't really want my money there, so I was hoping Vanguard would be a viable option.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,694  
That is unfortunate. My SIL works for Fidelity and I don't really want my money there, so I was hoping Vanguard would be a viable option.
Worried she might find out how loaded you are? :cool:

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,696  
At one time I managed a fair amount of residential rentals and one of the renters got a teller job at the bank and was privy to all the management company transactions...

One time she commented on a large account balance and I said it will be gone when property taxes are paid...she eventually retired and relocated but it was awkward.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,697  
Son-in-law and I don't trust him.
My wife works for a financial institution. Despite safeguards and company rules, she has always been concerned about nosey coworkers snooping around our accounts. Unscrupulous family members would be even more concerning.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,698  
That is my fear. Also, Fidelity hiring a Psych major to do financial work did not give me a lot of confidence in their company.

I had nosy co-workers that would look up famous people's purchase history.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,699  
When I was in IT, I had a nosey coworker that would poke around confidential information in the company. Betrays the trust that was put in him to not do that.

I had the keys to the company store, both physical keys to the doors and software keys to the computer systems. I'd never do that. It's an ethics thing.

If someone would get fired, I'd have to take ownership of their accounts and transfer all of their data to their supervisor. But I'd never read any of it unless instructed to by management.

Again, it's an ethics thing. If I found out some relative was poking around my finances, I'd be furious.

The old saying:

Never do business with family and friends

There's a reason for that.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,700  
Definitely happens in healthcare. Nothing worse than hearing the whole neighborhood knows about your personal health issues.