Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,011  
Property taxes should not be based upon the value of your property. They should be based upon the value of the services that are you were provided by the city.
Do you mean the cost to maintain emergency service availability? Or do you mean cost to use the service. Also how do you define value of the service?

Also where there are 1000 houses per square mile or 1 house per square mile who would pay more in taxes? There is a certain base amount for fire and police vehicles and employees, road maintenance, administrative staff. etc. . . .

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,012  
I think Property taxes should be frozen once you turn 60. Once one retires and is on a fixed income, rapidly rising taxes shouldn't force one to have to sell and move.

I think Texas freezes them at 65, at the rate they are increasing in 10 years (when I turn 65) they will be too much, another reason we aren't staying here.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,013  
For individuals 65 and older in Texas, there is no way to freeze all property taxes. However, there is what is called a tax ceiling freeze. This exemption is for school district taxes on the property owner’s primary residence. An application will need to be submitted to qualify.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,014  
Taxes of all kinds in retirement are the second great unknown after health.

In my city the well to do area which is about a third uses single digits percent in public safety services yet the taxes pay for half.

The wealthiest area formed its own city wholly inside the larger city to better direct funds.

It’s sobering to see property tax triple in 18 years from $6,200 to $19,000.

If this continues I’m looking at $57,000 property tax 18 years from now…

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,015  
I didn't delete those posts. Another moderator did. Not MossRoad. IMO you're just trying to stir the pot as evidenced by a handful of your posts mentioning the words conservative and liberal. I don't really need to explain why using those words in the context of discussing the very items you just listed, is political. By my definition it is and that's what we're going with. I would like to think that my interpretation in this case is fair and reasonable.

Yes, we use word filters. Yes, we change them. Yes, we try new things based on what's going on in the forum.

If you're genuinely asking if Ukraine, the economy, our nation being invaded, and the constitution are political topics, the answer is yes. Again, this is by my definition. If you want to use another definition that's fine but it is not going to change the rules.

Forum guidelines that explain this is somewhat simple terms are linked in my signature and in the feedback forum.
Short version: I didn’t do it, he did. He didn’t do it, I did. Oh, neither of us did it, another Mod did.”

Muhammad, sounds like you need to realize you can’t have it six different ways. At some point you have to be responsible for the actions of Moss if you are going to insist he continue as a Mod. His prejudiced actions reflect on you when you go along with it.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,017  
Short version: I didn’t do it, he did. He didn’t do it, I did. Oh, neither of us did it, another Mod did.”

Muhammad, sounds like you need to realize you can’t have it six different ways. At some point you have to be responsible for the actions of Moss if you are going to insist he continue as a Mod. His prejudiced actions reflect on you when you go along with it.

Oh I think you misunderstood why I was specific. Because as you stated in your post, you (and others) seem to have a narrative regarding moderation here and it's neither fair nor actuate. Presumptions are made routinely and in the one or two cases I prove them wrong with an explanation, you imply that I'm not taking responsibility.

So let me be clearer, I fully stand behind the appropriate removal of the posts in question as they were not in line with the forum rules. Check my sig for quick reference.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,018  
As a childless retired couple we have spent 40 years paying school taxes as part of our property taxes. It's one of the services we don't use directly but benefit from hopefully a better educated citizenry that will become productive members of society. It's for the greater good. Thankfully we haven't needed the sheriff or volunteer fire dept either but I'm happy to support them.
I've had to use the police and fire departments a few times in my life. I know this isn't the case for others, but around here, they are fast, courteous and professional.

If you ever find yourself fading in and out of consciousness on your bathroom floor, and the last thing you remember is telling your wife to call 911, and the next thing you know, there's a couple cops and 3-4 volunteer firefighters lifting you onto a gurney, strangers in your home helping you for no other reason than you're a human being in need of assistance, reassuring you that they've got you, well, you can't imagine unless it's happened to you. ;)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,019  
The boss is always right, don't argue with him. ;)
There are unmoderated discussion groups. I have been online for about 35 years now, and long ago realized I am a guest, not an owner. It's up to me to adhere to house rules or go elsewhere.

I really appreciate a politics-free forum. Too many old coots spend their lives listening to talk radio drivel. Their minds are like a broken record, and they think everything is about politics. As soon as you start picking sides you are in for a fight. That's a waste of time and just upsets people. Talk about real stuff, not some talking head BS.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,020  
Taxes of all kinds in retirement are the second great unknown after health.

In my city the well to do area which is about a third uses single digits percent in public safety services yet the taxes pay for half.

The wealthiest area formed its own city wholly inside the larger city to better direct funds.

It’s sobering to see property tax triple in 18 years from $6,200 to $19,000.

If this continues I’m looking at $57,000 property tax 18 years from now…
Ripoff to be sure. We are heading in the same direction as well. Just saw an ad for a new (infield) on the street we used to live on until 2017. Taxes are $21k. 😯