Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,672  
In regards to retiring on acreage with a shop.

I suggest a controllable size shop. 1000-2000 sq ft.

Secondary is a machine shed sized to fit your equipment. This keeps the shop area tidy. Move projects in as needed. Always have parking space for daily driver.

My condensed theory is, the key to a usable shop is a storage shed.
Daily drivers will go in the attached garage, I don't want to walk out in the rain or freezing weather to get to them. We have a 3 car garage now that I had built with taller 7' doors (Wanted to make sure my lifted Jeep and 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 pickups would fit in easily) that are 16' and 9' wide, garage is also deeper so that my F350 CC with 8' bed fits in and we can walk behind it with the door closed (Of course another foot would be nice and it will be in the new one :) ).

Yes, 2 buildings may be better, 1 for the Jeep, ATV's, Mowers, trailers, tractor, implements, etc and a smaller one just for projects. Maybe just 1 with a partition, will depend on price when we get there and possibly how the new home site is laid out.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,674  
I am actively engaged in both downsizing and collecting. It's a ying and yang thing.

Don't have a shop, converting what was my "shop" into livable space now. Don't want a "shop", don't want to do anything other than turn key and go stuff. Maybe fill a tire, change some fluids, that's it. Mow the lawn, mow the pasture, blow the air compressor on the equipment. Am good with that.

Same inside the houses, Europeans call it Death Cleaning. I look at some stuff that only has value to me or the SO. Kids....no value, no history to the "stuff".

Nah, I want it gone. Just keep it simple and manageable. Don't want to burden the kids when my time comes. My shining example is my FIL. It will take a long, long time to make his estate right. I imagine cleanup/cleanout alone will take a year. And none of his "stuff" has any family value. He cannot see that, he cannot get rid of anything. Sorry to say, it is a mental disease.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,676  
Daily drivers will go in the attached garage, I don't want to walk out in the rain or freezing weather to get to them. We have a 3 car garage now that I had built with taller 7' doors (Wanted to make sure my lifted Jeep and 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 pickups would fit in easily) that are 16' and 9' wide, garage is also deeper so that my F350 CC with 8' bed fits in and we can walk behind it with the door closed (Of course another foot would be nice and it will be in the new one :) ).

Yes, 2 buildings may be better, 1 for the Jeep, ATV's, Mowers, trailers, tractor, implements, etc and a smaller one just for projects. Maybe just 1 with a partition, will depend on price when we get there and possibly how the new home site is laid out.
We don't own a 7' tall overhead door. :)

Yep, all weather partition would be the cheapest. If the land area can handle something that size.

There's a huge difference in cost per square foot between a finished all weather building and a machine shed with only electric.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,677  
I am actively engaged in both downsizing and collecting. It's a ying and yang thing.

Don't have a shop, converting what was my "shop" into livable space now. Don't want a "shop", don't want to do anything other than turn key and go stuff. Maybe fill a tire, change some fluids, that's it. Mow the lawn, mow the pasture, blow the air compressor on the equipment. Am good with that.

Same inside the houses, Europeans call it Death Cleaning. I look at some stuff that only has value to me or the SO. Kids....no value, no history to the "stuff".

Nah, I want it gone. Just keep it simple and manageable. Don't want to burden the kids when my time comes. My shining example is my FIL. It will take a long, long time to make his estate right. I imagine cleanup/cleanout alone will take a year. And none of his "stuff" has any family value. He cannot see that, he cannot get rid of anything. Sorry to say, it is a mental disease.
I see nothing "mental" or "disease" about having "stuff". :cool:

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,678  
IMG_0352.jpg

So appropriate.