Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,652  
Quick count:
How many cooking knives are in your retirement kitchens? You can skip butter and steak knives.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,653  
I still have my original cooking knives set from when we were married, some 37 years ago.

I use them daily, there are seven in the set. Steak and Butter knives abound in the kitchen, we must have over 30 laying in drawers.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,654  
10 knives and 1 sissors in the block with six steak knives. That includes 1 butcher and 2 chef knives. I love those GOOD knives.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,655  
"Barkeepers Friend" is the best I've found for getting spots of scummy film off the mirror-finish interior of my Instant Pot. This keeps it looking new. Great stuff.
When my stainless-steel pans get that cloudy film, I just use vinegar to shine them back up. White vinegar seems best, but other vinegars do work. The SS pans seem to get a brown film after a while from tomatoes at which time I put some baking soda in, wet a paper towel and scrub clean. I do have Barkeeper's that I keep with detergents in the laundry room, but these both are easier for me since they are both already in the kitchen.

Before and after...
Pan before.jpg
pan after.jpg

Last edited:
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,656  
36 knives (excluding paring and steak knives), 16 spatulas (flipping only, excluding rubber and scraping spatulas), 34 scissors, 15 hammers. Only about 5 knives, a couple of spatulas, 1 scissors and 3 hammers are mine, the rest came from my wife's side of the family's "collections" and don't ever get used. I do all the cooking.

Did I mention that one of my biggest retirement fears is not being able to get my wife to let go of things?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,657  
Quick count:
How many cooking knives are in your retirement kitchens? You can skip butter and steak knives.
I'll hafta ask the Chef.

Kinda like if you asked her how many 1/2" wrenches are in the shop.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,659  
Did I mention that one of my biggest retirement fears is not being able to get my wife to let go of things?
The biggest fallacy on retirement is Downsizing. You need space to put your things you have accumulated during your lifetime and you need room to do things at home. My retirement home is larger than any previous home.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,660  
The biggest fallacy on retirement is Downsizing. You need space to put your things you have accumulated during your lifetime and you need room to do things at home. My retirement home is larger than any previous home.
Very correct.
Downsizing - Depends on what you are downsizing. We are transitioning from a 5 bedroom Colonial to a 3 bedroom. From a decent sized kitchen to a small galley.
And from about 150 sq feet of shed space to over 5,000.
Lot's of space to put what we have accumulated.
And from a 1/4 acre lot to about 75 acres.