Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,641  
I’m not a finance guy but I married a CPA who believes Financial Planners aren’t worth a damn. I’m not convinced myself on the subject.

I’ve got Fidelity 401k’s, Vanguard IRAs, a few Roths, savings, Inherited IRA, CD’s and debt free for now with no pensions. I am anticipating layoffs soon which if it doesn’t catch me now will catch me next round. I don’t have to work (and it’s not fun anymore) but my wife (56) wants to work at least until I have Medicare. Where I live, jobs for my age are non-existent and I’m not handicapped so Walmart greeter is not an option.

I read most of the thread and saw one person who shut down Fisher because of the high fees. I know FP’s were discussed a while back but with the downturn in both stocks and bonds (and down 30% on my IRAs), I wonder if your thoughts have changed about FP since this thread started?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,642  
I interviewed Fisher at one time. The rep had the amazing ability to sit across the table, write and draw pictures upside down (for him) and right side up for me. They have a lot of clients.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,643  
I've studied the same things FPs study and think I can do as well, without the fees. As I've noted a S&P fund will put you ahead of 85% of retail investors.
This evades advisors motivated by commission.

A hands-on business can do better but we're talking about IRAs etc you can sit back and watch grow over time.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,644  
Since I have been retired, there are some things I seem to have learned - and none of which made me any the wiser. I have found that over time in retirement I have become the chief pot and pan washer.

My wife seems to believe I have nothing to do. So she helps me out by letting me do the pots and pans and dishes. By the way, I just bought a new Bosch dishwasher. Wonder if I can find a Pot and Pan washer - NO not me. Already have that.

By the way, if it helps you, I will give you a tip from my new profession. We have 4 of those shiny heavy (Tramontina) frying pans (they are NOT non stick). The best way to clean them is using "Barkeepers Friend" product. Use it almost dry. It has a very find grit and removes the hard stuff. In using it, sometimes you must add grease -----the elbow kind of grease. Do not use on non stick pans.

For the pleasure of this new hobby, I get to buy her plates, bowls, and stuff made of Polish Pottery. That way they are pretty after I wash them.

Why do I do this? I guess because she is a great wife so I must be a "good" husband. So I am told.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,645  
... a tip ... is using "Barkeepers Friend" product. Use it almost dry. It has a very fine grit and removes the hard stuff.
"Barkeepers Friend" is the best I've found for getting spots of scummy film off the mirror-finish interior of my Instant Pot. This keeps it looking new. Great stuff.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,646  
My wife seems to believe I have nothing to do. So she helps me out by letting me do the pots and pans and dishes. By the way, I just bought a new Bosch dishwasher. Wonder if I can find a Pot and Pan washer - NO not me. Already have that.
I do most of the cooking and laundry. Partly because I'm the better cook of the two (don't tell her I said that :LOL:), and partly because she works a lot more hours than I do even though we're both technically retired.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,647  
"Barkeepers Friend" is the best I've found for getting spots of scummy film off the mirror-finish interior of my Instant Pot. This keeps it looking new. Great stuff.
It is. I didn't know that --- that is now part of my new job Ha!.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,648  
Since I have been retired, there are some things I seem to have learned - and none of which made me any the wiser. I have found that over time in retirement I have become the chief pot and pan washer.

By the way, if it helps you, I will give you a tip from my new profession. We have 4 of those shiny heavy (Tramontina) frying pans (they are NOT non stick). The best way to clean them is using "Barkeepers Friend" product. Use it almost dry. It has a very find grit and removes the hard stuff. In using it, sometimes you must add grease -----the elbow kind of grease. Do not use on non stick pans.

For the pleasure of this new hobby, I get to buy her plates, bowls, and stuff made of Polish Pottery. That way they are pretty after I wash them.

Why do I do this? I guess because she is a great wife so I must be a "good" husband. So I am told.

If you want a great non-stick pot, try carbon steel. Similar to cast iron in that it needs to be seasoned, but thinner. Carbon steel is the choice of chefs like Gordon Ramsey. I have a couple from De Buyer. Not cheap, but absolutely worth it.