Restoring old barn Timbers

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
We have torn down two barns that are 90-100 years old and removed as many hand hewed timbers as possible. A couple of them are 21ft long and as new but most are weathered and have minor rot and or bug holes toward the surface. All but 2 are 8x8 oak post and the 2 are 11x11 oak. How might i go about getting these cleaned and ready to use in the interior of a new home construction?

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #2  
This is typically done by running them through a planer in order to remove a small amount of material and also to size them consistently.

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #3  
Pressure washer or wire wheel on a grinder or wire brush.

Might want to spray them with a Boracare to help prevent further decay and insect damage.

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #4  
How will you be using them, as timbers, or will you rip them down into boards?

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #5  
If you want the appearance of bright rough sawn lumber, find someone with a good bandsaw sawmill, that is particular about their work. Dad sawed many barn beams for a local building contractor who salvaged old barns. He would saw 3/8" off the outside of the beam, which the contractor used for real wood paneling. The rest was sawn into hardwood flooring.

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #6  
Might be able to sand blast them using a very fine medium/powder. Have seen it done for homes in Colorado using walnut or pecan hulls too.

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #7  
Try bleach on a piece and see how it comes out after it dries for a day or two. I know a company that bleaches new post and beam houses.

/ Restoring old barn Timbers
Ive considered plaining them down but problem is they are hand hewed and i really want to keep this appearance as my great grand parents did the work. I see some very small holes in certain areas so figured bugs were or are in there now. I will use these in basement man-cave and 2 for front porch of future new home.

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #9  
Ive considered plaining them down but problem is they are hand hewed and i really want to keep this appearance as my great grand parents did the work. I see some very small holes in certain areas so figured bugs were or are in there now. I will use these in basement man-cave and 2 for front porch of future new home.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep the look of the boards. Why not just treat them for bugs...then put a light varnish on them. Would look great on a wall.....just make sure the bugs are gone! Good luck...:thumbsup:

/ Restoring old barn Timbers #10  

I am glad you want to preserve the hand work of your great grandparents. You cannot replace such treasures.