Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #21  
Good price.....saw several on the auction sites ......btw.....which hydro-motor does it have?
Is it the ZT-2800 or 3100?
Scag website say call dealer for details.......

thanks....

ZT-2800,.... the ZT-3100 is apparently in all the larger (thousands more $) machines.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #22  
I'd check and see if you have a dealer close for Spartan Mowers and give them a look. Spartan Mowers | Zero Turn Lawn Mowers
You won't find a stronger built ZT for close to the same money. They have Kohler, B&S and Kawasaki engines.

With a 5K budget though you are limited to their lower end units but still worth a look especially end of th eyear, might get a mid level unit in your budget.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience
ZT-2800,.... the ZT-3100 is apparently in all the larger (thousands more $) machines.

That's pretty much true.....and then found the Ariens Apex......with the ZT3100.....spoke with the NH dealer which carries the Gravely......said he can hook me up with one next year.......so after much reading, watching, etc........looks like the Apex...........for now......HEH......and we all know how that works out right.....:D

Thanks....lots of choices, some not anywhere near my area though....

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #24  
Some excellent information here. You might want to include Toro in your search. My information says Toro and Exmark are made in the same factory. The only real difference is price. Anybody confirm or deny that?

I have a high end ExMark and am very happy with it after 4 years. Big part of that is the great dealer I have.

Good luck on your search. Suggest you mow with several models to get a real comparison. Find what works best for you in your situation.

Yup have looked at the Time Master....dealer is way to far off.....
Exmark and Ariens Apex in he running.......the ZT3100 in the Apex pulls ahead......lol....

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #26  
I have 2 acres as well. Take me just under two hours to cut as i have lots of stuff to deal with...trees, beds, patio, pond etc.

What I considered was that with a ZT I will be down to about one hour per cut. I do about 20 "cuts" per year between cutting grass and mulching leaves. So I will put about 20 hours a year on the machine. Then I looked at the warranties. 300 hours for the Ariens Ikon and 500 for the Apex. I expect that, if not abused, we can expect 50% more "life"...giving 450 hours for the Ikon and 750 for the Apex...likely more. Both have Kawasaki engines, therefore the longer warranty must be due to the transmissions and spindles. but spindles are not expensive and easy to replace. Not sure if there are other components that are better on the Apex.

Dealing with my 2 acres, I have a useful life of 22 years with the Ikon and 37 years for the Apex. I am 70. Doubt I will make it to 107...LOL

There is a $1800 difference in cost. After 22 years, at 6%, that grows to $6500. If I am still cutting grass at 92, I will have a $6500 party..

If I had more acreage, or lived where I need to cut more often, the Apex could be justified. In my situation, the Ikon seems to fit well enough.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #27  
Just like most other Mfg., Scag and Hustler offer low end residential (cheaper made/cheaper cost) through high end commercial models (much heavier duty and much more expensive).
Its all about how much you want to spend

When you are almost 80 years old (me) $4,410 is plenty.
I don't personally forsee any need for a mower lasting more than 10 years.
The "Liberty Z" has a 750 hour warranty, so the manufacturer must have genuine faith in their product.
My grass dries up each Summer anyway, so a 10 year mower would likely last at least 20.
I think the Kawasaki engine is the real key to mower longevity.

I have 2 acres as well. Take me just under two hours to cut as i have lots of stuff to deal with...trees, beds, patio, pond etc.

What I considered was that with a ZT I will be down to about one hour per cut. I do about 20 "cuts" per year between cutting grass and mulching leaves. So I will put about 20 hours a year on the machine. Then I looked at the warranties. 300 hours for the Ariens Ikon and 500 for the Apex. I expect that, if not abused, we can expect 50% more "life"...giving 450 hours for the Ikon and 750 for the Apex...likely more. Both have Kawasaki engines, therefore the longer warranty must be due to the transmissions and spindles. but spindles are not expensive and easy to replace. Not sure if there are other components that are better on the Apex.

Dealing with my 2 acres, I have a useful life of 22 years with the Ikon and 37 years for the Apex. I am 70. Doubt I will make it to 107...LOL

There is a $1800 difference in cost. After 22 years, at 6%, that grows to $6500. If I am still cutting grass at 92, I will have a $6500 party..

If I had more acreage, or lived where I need to cut more often, the Apex could be justified. In my situation, the Ikon seems to fit well enough.

Love the math....since we are at about the Jurassic park era....lol....The difference between the two is the ability to service the hydro-motors. The Apex has filters that can be serviced. The Ikon does not indicate such serviceability.
Have read that the average tractor owner runs about 50 hours a year. Well so far in 30+ months, the Kioti is at 667 hours:shocked:.

I suspect that once I get the ZT that it will get way more then a 20-25 hours or so a year.
Now if an Ikon owner can step up and share hydro-motor service experince I'm ready to learn more. The folks that buy the lower tier ZT BB store type have made lots of video of removing wheels, disengaging all linkages, sliding tuff-torque out. Flip it upside down drain, refill and reverse process. Course all those guys were kids....about 40 years old or so.....heh......So...your facts do hold up well and sure is hard to beat math logic.......

See....my 45 years of aviation and utility maintenance time have morphed me into a OCD maint. nut......it would irritate me to no end not being able to service the hydros....sigh.....so maybe this is also therapeutic and need to lighten up a bit......Almost as OCD as Monk, the hyper-phobia detective on TV.......
whoops that was a different road......getting back on track.......

that was good stuff....when I get ready will discuss this with the local dealer here in Shiner.....so far he's proven to be helpful of what the customer needs vice up selling for a buck......and yeah I really am in denial about my age..........:D:laughing:

Last edited:
When you are almost 80 years old (me) $4,410 is plenty.
I don't personally forsee any need for a mower lasting more than 10 years.
The "Liberty Z" has a 750 hour warranty, so the manufacturer must have genuine faith in their product.
My grass dries up each Summer anyway, so a 10 year mower would likely last at least 20.
I think the Kawasaki engine is the real key to mower longevity.

Ah another one with logic hard to beat, you old guys are about to get me check mated.......:laughing:

Buuuuuuuuut.......it's exactly the kind of thinking I needed to break my hypnotic spell of shiny new 'more power, bigger is better' mind set.....

enjoy the weekend.....:cool2: and thanks for the second reality check of sound logic.....:drink:
for my (gulp) age..........heh....heh.....

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #30  
I mow about a hilly acre or so. I'm very happy with my Kubota Z122RKW-42. Big fan of Kawasaki small engines. This is my second and a strong reason why I chose this model. Put a mulching kit on it so no bagging and what is amazing, I can slowly plow through grass/weeds, etc. 18in high with no bogging and it mulches beautifully. More than plenty of power for a 42in deck.

IMG_4993.jpg