resealing hyd ram on Case backhoe

/ resealing hyd ram on Case backhoe #1  

ScottAR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd
As promised,

I rebuilt 2 rams on the 580 over the last couple days and took a couple photos of the pieces and parts to give an idea of what's inside.
This first one is what the inside looks like when the end is unscrewed and pulled out. This pic is actually after I got it back together. I forgot to get a before photo. Oops..

Attachments

• hyd-piston-assembled.jpg
    hyd-piston-assembled.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 1,598
   / resealing hyd ram on Case backhoe
Now, after you get the big honker of a bolt out of the end, the piston end comes off, the gland slides off and you can break the whole mess down.

It's good to have a place to lay out all the pieces. I chose some leftover plywood so as not to harm the metal bits.

The first pic is the big bolt in the end of the piston that join the piston to the rod. Oil can for scale.

Second pic is all the parts laid out. On the left is the gland nut, aka the end of the cylinder. You can see the blind holes to put the gland nut wrench.

Bottom center is the piston and center is the piston rod.

At the top you can see the seal kit. The big rings on top are wear rings for the piston.

The green one is the dirt wiper for the end of the gland nut.

The thick creme one is the Ucup seal or oil seal.

The clear one goes under the Useal in the gland. The thick nylon ring is the gland wear ring.

The large oring and backer ring in the center go on the outside of the gland nut.

The thin creme one is called a buffer seal in the directions but that I didn't need it for my model cylinder.

The third pic is the old brittle, crusty stuff that came out. No wonder it leaked... Last pic is the new to me toy that the parts go on. :)

I hope these shots shed some light on whats actually in a hydraulic cylinder. No magic voodoo, just some rubber and plastic in the correct order.

Attachments

• big-honker-of-a-bolt.jpg
    big-honker-of-a-bolt.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 1,159
  • hyd-cylinder-pieces-and-par.jpg
    hyd-cylinder-pieces-and-par.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 1,410
  • hyd-cylinder-old-parts.jpg
    hyd-cylinder-old-parts.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 580d-home-at-last.jpg
    580d-home-at-last.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,616
I almost forgot the tool list.

Large snap ring pliers to get the pins loose that hold the cylinder ends.
Gland nut wrench (OTC#1266) 3/4 drive. 5/16" pins.
3/4" drive breaker bar for above and for 1 13/16" socket for big honker bolt.
Cheater pipe for breaker bar. 5-6 ft is good.
Big spud bar to hold piston rod still while using cheater pipe.
Mechanics picks or scratch awls to get the rubber bits out of the gland.
Small hammer and screwdriver for the dirt wiper seal.
4lb hammer to hit cheater pipe and anything else that doesn't move like it should.

That's about it for a shopping list. Big box of paper towels and hand cleaner. :)

/ resealing hyd ram on Case backhoe #4  
TBN is a fantastic ressource... Thanks Scott for taking the time to show me how it's done!

Happy to help. When I was originally planning this job, I asked a couple friends who are farmer types and they said it wasn't bad, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
At worst, I could give up and take it somewhere. I'd have to take it off either way. I got some cool tools in the process. :)

I did break a 3/4" breaker bar on the dipper cylinder. The cross pin came partway out and the opposite side gave way. I happened to be sitting on the cheater pipe at the time and hit the ground rather quickly. Luckliy, we were on the grass so no harm was done. Dad and I both burst into laughter.

Heated the bolt really warm and melted the factory loctite and it let go finally.

I boogered up one of the wear rings getting the piston back in the cylinder so I had to go back to the dealer for another. I was happy to find out I could just get the one piece even though it was 3/4 the price of the whole kit.
The trip was ok though, because on the way back I got to see a Ford GT in traffic.
Don't see $180K supercars everyday around here.

Everything here lately is an adventure...

/ resealing hyd ram on Case backhoe #6  
Hello not sure if anyone is stilli following this forum? I recently purchased a case 580E backhoe and I am in the process of rebuilding the hydraulic cylinders, there is just one seal I can't figure out the placement on. Any help would be appreciated.IMG_0342.JPG
It appears to be the same seal as in the bottom left of your seal kit.

/ resealing hyd ram on Case backhoe #7  
Hello not sure if anyone is stilli following this forum? I recently purchased a case 580E backhoe and I am in the process of rebuilding the hydraulic cylinders, there is just one seal I can't figure out the placement on. Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 506967
It appears to be the same seal as in the bottom left of your seal kit.