Replacing a frost plug block heater

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Now that somebody here has told me why I can't keep a heater working, I want to replace the one which I trashed. I can find all sorts of info on how to remove a frost plug (I did that the first time when I was 13). Is there any special trick to getting the old heater out? I really, REALLY don't need to mess up my block. (Kubota L3301, so I believe that it has an aluminum block.)

Thank you

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #2  
Now that somebody here has told me why I can't keep a heater working, I want to replace the one which I trashed. I can find all sorts of info on how to remove a frost plug (I did that the first time when I was 13). Is there any special trick to getting the old heater out? I really, REALLY don't need to mess up my block. (Kubota L3301, so I believe that it has an aluminum block.)

Thank you

The frost plug heaters that I am familiar with use a brass bushing that is pounded into the freeze plug hole, then the heating element is threaded into the bushing. Are you sure you can't just unthread the heater element and replace it?

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #3  
Most have a pair of 'wings' that spread to hold the heater in place.
Un screw to retract the 'wings' and pull out.
Mine resisted so I drilled a small hole and screwed a bolt in as to enable a point of grabbing. That worked out OK.
To install you smear some grease on the O-ring and screw tight to spread the 'wings'.
Top up the coolant you lost and good to go.

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #4  
Post a picture of the present heater as it is installed.

Internet guessing games are idiots work.

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #5  
Mine resisted so I drilled a small hole and screwed a bolt in as to enable a point of grabbing. That worked out OK.
There was a nightmare thread posted somewhere (here or OTT I would guess) by a guy that decided to drill a hole in his freeze plug to help get it out, for the installation of a block heater...

Unfortunately he did not realize drilling the plug was so easy, and he ended up drilling through a cylinder wall.

You can imagine the expense and time he lost, even though he could do what was necessary to repair it himself.

Message being: IF you decide to drill a hole in the freeze plug to help with its removal, be very careful!

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #6  
^ Yes.
That thread was epic. He was able to fix it, but his journey and the thread went on for probably 6 months or more before tractor was restored to operation.
I think he had to split the tractor, disassemble the motor and take the block out to a machine shop.
He had knowledge and persevered to make it right, but what a nightmare .

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #7  
There was a nightmare thread posted somewhere (here or OTT I would guess) by a guy that decided to drill a hole in his freeze plug to help get it out, for the installation of a block heater...

Unfortunately he did not realize drilling the plug was so easy, and he ended up drilling through a cylinder wall.

You can imagine the expense and time he lost, even though he could do what was necessary to repair it himself.

Message being: IF you decide to drill a hole in the freeze plug to help with its removal, be very careful!

That was not me that that did that booboo but I did have to resort to the same technique one cold winter but I did know of the close proximity so was extremely careful.
In fact I used a device to limit drill depth.
I had to resort to a flexible extension for access.
On My Mitsubishi CUT the frost plug heater is behind the oil filter and really tucked in tight.
It was a nightmare job @ -30 deg and certainly did not want to add an oil change on top of coolant replenishment.
My only saving grace was close proximity to my shop so I was able to use a construction heater to warm me and my tools. Adding to the problem, I suffer from Renaud's syndrome so I can't feel the difference between a razor blade or a 3/8 nut.

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #8  
All the frost plug heaters I have installed had some type of expanding device or a pulling wing to secure them.
Without a picture of your particular one it's a guess.
Typical;
1644519229999.png

This link will take you to the Kat's heater page which has a link for a pdf catalog with a lot of information.

/ Replacing a frost plug block heater #10  
I don't see a link in there either, the one you posted is the same one.
The installation section starts on about page 77.