Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #11  
LP is very solid stuff. Hardie or other cement board are also great. Biggest advantage to LP is that it is more impact resistant so if you get lots of big hail storms, it will tend to hold up better. But the cement board is better against fire and insects. Take yer pick. I used LP on my house 8 yrs ago and it is looking like new still.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #12  
If it is far enough from your house that matching siding isn’t an issue, why not cover the current siding with colored steel panels and trim?

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop
I would agree the lap siding would be easier for me to do by myself but I think it also increases the cost substantially.

If I'm figuring this right then the LP Lap siding would actually be a little cheaper and easier for me to do by myself

4'x8' sheet is 32 sq ft at $43.50 a sheet

8"x12' lap siding would cover 8 sq. ft. x4 would equal 32 sq. ft at $9.96 each x 4 is $39.84

Did I figure that right?

Is there any additional material needed to do lap vs sheet that would increase the sq. ft. price?

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #15  
Vinyl is the most “conservative” option and probably the easiest to put on. Unless your current siding is a total loss it can go on over it. I personally would not want anything that is going to require painting in the future.

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #16  
If it is far enough from your house that matching siding isn’t an issue, why not cover the current siding with colored steel panels and trim?
That's what i was thinking...Why wouldn't you want to match what's on your house?

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #17  

Such a NM thing to say and do...

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #18  
4x8 sheets heavy to work with. Lap siding easier for the solo worker. I've done both.
Any other Pros and Cons of the two? I would be hiring out the install so labor cost will be a factor. The 4 x 8 sheets just seem to be a ‘cleaner’ option. Fewer exposed seams or overlaps for long term maintenance (cleaning & painting) and a simpler install. Am I missing something?

Sorry if I’m hijacking the OP’s thread.

The problem I see with the 4x8 sheets is lots of exposed nails. Around here they fill every nail hole and seam with caulking. With Lap the majority of the nails are hidden and should make for a cleaner look and less caulking

/ Replacement Siding for Detached 2 Car Garage/Workshop #20  
I had board and batton on my garage also I just tore the battons off filled in between the boards horizontally every two feet from the bottom of wall with short pieces of 1X4 and put ribbed steel panels on turned out very good. Easy to apply as you order the steel cut to length I predrilled the holes and screwed them on went quick and color holds up well.