Repainted tractors

/ Repainted tractors #21  
I got a can of John Deere green and a can of John Deere yellow paint and painted it with paint brushes. New seat assembly, and all new tires. Looks pretty good from a distance...and good enough for me.
When I got into Chevelles and did my own painting I met a old guy who showed me how to brush paint. I have brush painted a fair amount of implements and its really hard to tell from spray paint.

In the old days I used to buy old tractors (which were plentiful) pressure wash and spray paint them. New fluids and tuneup. Tires if needed. Were never called restored just cleaned and painted. Didnt cost a lot of money to do, just labor.

/ Repainted tractors #22  
Like I said, around here (from what I've seen" pressure washing is optional. they (sellers) just lay on the enamel right over the grease.

Probably call it 'rough castings'....lol.

/ Repainted tractors #23  
I would brush paint an implement in a New York minute, but not a tractor I intended to use. Wouldn’t look down my nose at those who did though, do what you gotta do.

I repainted my first tractor, a Ford 8n, it was my first time painting anything serious, and it didn’t turn out too well, but my neighbor up the road saw it and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Next tractor, a JD 950, far superior for my needs, and I still have it 20 years later. Needs some new paint now, but that Is at the bottom of my to do list.
Spring is coming.

/ Repainted tractors #24  
I would brush paint an implement in a New York minute, but not a tractor I intended to use. Wouldn’t look down my nose at those who did though, do what you gotta do.

I repainted my first tractor, a Ford 8n, it was my first time painting anything serious, and it didn’t turn out too well, but my neighbor up the road saw it and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Next tractor, a JD 950, far superior for my needs, and I still have it 20 years later. Needs some new paint now, but that Is at the bottom of my to do list.
Spring is coming.
I totally understand it being at the bottom of the list ! If it's a working tractor it hard to find a shut down time to do it yourself or shop it out & I have 95% of everything I need to do a working restoration on my 1959 M-F 50 & I call it a working restoration because I don't plan on retiring this tractor even though I bought a brand new one in 2018 & the M-F 50 I've done most of the major things that needed to be done to her & even though it's a new year I don't see it happening this year , But I will get some things done to her.
IMG_20201003_134009.jpg
IMG_20201003_134009.jpg

/ Repainted tractors #25  
What I like about repainting a tractor, is that during the prep, I'm forecd to look at every square inch. It familiarizes me with all the working parts, and is a sort of an inspection.

/ Repainted tractors #26  
With care, good oil based paint, and good brushes, you can get excellent results by brush painting. And there is a select group of skilled painters that can make it look as good as a spray job. I'm in awe of those people.

/ Repainted tractors #27  
This is a resto and you can eat off the motor too (if you want a hot lunch that is)... 2002 with 6000+ meter hours and it farms, it ain't a barn queen.

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
   / Repainted tractors #28  
I know I am in the minority here, but I only understand this if you plan to sell. I get the classic stuff, but if I was going to pay for a paint job on my tractor, I would be more inclined to get a custom job. Maybe black with a ZZ top sort of look or a red, white and blue patriotic look. for NASCAR fans, maybe an homage to your favorite driver. Imagine a Candy Apple red 1466., If not something fun, then just touch up paint to protect the metal. Whatever makes people happy, I guess.

/ Repainted tractors #29  
With care, good oil based paint, and good brushes, you can get excellent results by brush painting. And there is a select group of skilled painters that can make it look as good as a spray job. I'm in awe of those people.
Between plastic and powder coating on so many things nowadays how much longer before paint - either brushed or sprayed on will still be around?

/ Repainted tractors #30  
This tractor was 20 years old when I got it, and it had spent most of its life on a Canadian dairy farm,,

I cleaned the manure out of the grill shell, (and prepped the rest of it)
then, I painted it with NAPA equivalent of Valspar and hardener
(There was no TSC to sell Valspar,, 25 years ago when I painted it)

I think it looks pretty good, for a 25 year old paint job, on a 45 year old tractor,,

15eAINQ.jpg