Removing speakers on MT342HC

/ Removing speakers on MT342HC #1  

Bigfootconcepts

Tractor
White 2-65, LS MT342HC
Any hints? After reading severals posts re the quality of the speakers on my new MT342HC I fully agree. They have to go. However, I am having trouble getting the old speakers out. I assumed I could just remove the 4 screws on each factory speaker and they would fall out. But they don't. After unscrewing them about 1/4" they just rotate. I'm assuming the nut inside the headliner is just rotating on the bolt shaft. How do I get these screws out without removing the whole roof. That seems excessive.

/ Removing speakers on MT342HC #2  
Any hints? After reading severals posts re the quality of the speakers on my new MT342HC I fully agree. They have to go. However, I am having trouble getting the old speakers out. I assumed I could just remove the 4 screws on each factory speaker and they would fall out. But they don't. After unscrewing them about 1/4" they just rotate. I'm assuming the nut inside the headliner is just rotating on the bolt shaft. How do I get these screws out without removing the whole roof. That seems excessive.
I took a screw driver between the surface and the speaker and pried gently while unscrewing the screw. There is a nut on the other side that will just spin if you don't give it a little pressure. They must install the speakers at the factory with the cab roof off. To install the new speakers, I used sell-taping screw's.

/ Removing speakers on MT342HC #4  
You need to prop the roof up, as George said above. You gain access to everything above the headliner from up there. If you're going bigger speakers (recommended), you'll need to trim some plastic using a Dremel or something. Its easier to do that from above. You will need a ladder.

/ Removing speakers on MT342HC
The roof is hinged at the rear. one nut on each side and two nuts in front and the roof lifts up. There is a rod inside the roof to support it when lifted.
Thanks George, I didn't know it was that easy. Do you happen to know the ceiling height I would need to hinge the roof up? My shop is only 10' 6". Does the roof hinge up at 90 degrees (highest clearance needed) or does it slant when supported by the internal support rod? Any photos?

/ Removing speakers on MT342HC #6  
Sorry, no photos but when I raised my roof I only lifted it high enough for the support rod to hold it. Was less than a 45 degree angle which still gave plenty of room to access anything in there. I think the front of the roof was up maybe 2' so pretty sure 10'6" will be high enough. If I recall I had to remove the front cab lights. I made a new bracket across the front of the cab to mount them to.
DSCN1099 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
   / Removing speakers on MT342HC
I lifted my LS MT342HC roof today and it was quite easy. Thanks to George and Avenger for suggesting this.

Attached is a photo of it raised. A few things to note: (1) the bolts you remove are those under the edge of the roof not on top (2) the front work lights will have to be removed and (3) don't cut the zip ties holding the support bar inside the roof. They have release tabs on them so they can be re-used (see 2nd photo).

Attachments

• IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
   / Removing speakers on MT342HC #8  
On my old Kubota's, I remove the roof regularly to clean the AC evaporator and the heater core too.

What I'd do instead of using sheet metal screws to secure the new speakers, I'd use Riv Nuts in the headliner and corresponding machine screws to secure them. HF sells a nice Riv Nut setter (Doyle) and it comes with an assortment of Riv Nuts as well. It's like 30 bucks.

/ Removing speakers on MT342HC #9  
Not a fan of sheet metal, self tapping screws at all. Riv-Nuts are a much better option and Riv-Nuts can be used over hundreds of times because they are internally threaded and take threaded fasteners. Kind of a no brainer for me.... and they look much more 'professional'.