Refurbishing an L45

/ Refurbishing an L45 #33  
Tractordata.com lists a L45 at over 7k. TractorData.com Kubota L45 backhoe-loader tractor information

You might find a 10k trailer that weighs under 3k, but probably not. If you did you'd be pushing it to its absolute limit. So you are looking at a 14k trailer. Proper tongue weight on a 10k load will be 1-1.5k. Realistically a bit more with a proper 14k trailer.

A 3/4 ton truck is rated is generally rated with a GVWR of 10k & weighs over 8k dry. A 1 or 3/4 ton double cab with fuel, a very few tools & driver is often pushing or exceeding 9k on the scale. That leaves you insufficient GVWR for your over 1k of tongue weight.

That doesnt even factor anything but the TBL & trailer into the equation. A 3/4 ton is not enough truck to properly tow 7k, of machine. It would likely do it fine, but you could get into warranty or legal issues if things went wrong. If you are getting s brand new truck for the job, get the right 1 ton or bigger truck.

/ Refurbishing an L45 #34  
Tractordata.com lists a L45 at over 7k. TractorData.com Kubota L45 backhoe-loader tractor information

You might find a 10k trailer that weighs under 3k, but probably not. If you did you'd be pushing it to its absolute limit. So you are looking at a 14k trailer. Proper tongue weight on a 10k load will be 1-1.5k. Realistically a bit more with a proper 14k trailer.

A 3/4 ton truck is rated is generally rated with a GVWR of 10k & weighs over 8k dry. A 1 or 3/4 ton double cab with fuel, a very few tools & driver is often pushing or exceeding 9k on the scale. That leaves you insufficient GVWR for your over 1k of tongue weight.

That doesnt even factor anything but the TBL & trailer into the equation. A 3/4 ton is not enough truck to properly tow 7k, of machine. It would likely do it fine, but you could get into warranty or legal issues if things went wrong. If you are getting s brand new truck for the job, get the right 1 ton or bigger truck.

I have an L48 TLB that weighs just under 8K
I have a 1997 GMC 2500 4x4 with 454 V-8 and air bags
My 14K trailer weighs 3,400 lbs empty.
Thus my trailer gross wt. is 11,400 lbs.
I towed it for 350 miles at Interstate highway speeds to bring it home.
I do not tow for business use.

I use a 14K Equal-i-zer hitch with 1100 lbs. tongue weight.
It is not an optimal rig, but it tows just fine.
Braking is the only thing that concerns me.
I tow very infrequently, have gentle hills, and do not tailgate!

/ Refurbishing an L45 #35  

Actually, it's fairly common for them to be around 2,500# Local trailer place has several that they rent out which weigh around 2,500# and are rated for 9,990#.
That gives you about 7500# of carrying capacity.
That would be right on the ragged edge, but if you're not towing very often, very far and leave plenty of following distance, it can be done legally and relatively safely.

Aaron Z

/ Refurbishing an L45 #36  
When my drain tub wont hold 12 gallons I use the Mityvac fluid evacuator. Helps keep things from getting messyView attachment 646420

Getting old here, but with the virus about I'll probably be doing my own maintenance for a few more years.
The downside is I'm not much interested in crawling under a machine and dragging an tippy oil pan through the dirt.

So I've been thinking about using some sort of fluid evacuator on all my vehicles.... and then saw your picture.
Is the Mityvac the answer?
When does it work and when not?

I'm ignorant on these things. For years I had a shop with a lift, but no more. I just started thinking about alternatives and haven't even done any research yet.
My first thought was to look for some sort of rig like the Mityvac but that mounted in the lid of a standard 5 gallon pail. It could be driven manually with a pump or via a small pump motor.
rScotty

/ Refurbishing an L45 #37  
Getting old here, but with the virus about I'll probably be doing my own maintenance for a few more years.
The downside is I'm not much interested in crawling under a machine and dragging an tippy oil pan through the dirt.

So I've been thinking about using some sort of fluid evacuator on all my vehicles.... and then saw your picture.

I'm ignorant on these things. For years I had a shop with a lift, but no more. I just started thinking about alternatives and haven't even done any research yet.
My first thought was to look for some sort of rig like the Mityvac but that mounted in the lid of a standard 5 gallon pail. It could be driven manually with a pump or via a small pump motor.
rScotty

You can buy inexpensive dipstick oil drain pumps on E-Bay.
I am too old to crawl under cars anymore, so I use one for car oil changes.
The pumps are 12V cheap Chinese junk, are quite slow, but they do work.
If the engine oil filter is under the car......you gotta problem.

Most tractors are much taller than cars.
For tractor draining, I just pull the plug, drain the oil, replace the filter, plug and oil.
Then back the tractor away, and pick up the pan with oil.
No dragging necessary.

/ Refurbishing an L45

I'd get a 350 over 250. Lots of 250s aren't rated high enough, even though they have no problem handling lots more than their rating. Heck, my little 150 EcoBoost really handles the load quite well, even went up and down the mountain at Mont Eagle TN. It's only rated for 11k

rScotty

That is a Mightyvac and it comes in real handy but isn't the end all be all. It wont suck the rear dry, only reaches about 6 gallons so I still have to get under the tractor

/ Refurbishing an L45
Christmas in September....then need a grapple and hydraulic auger 20200918_162157.jpg20200918_162153.jpg

/ Refurbishing an L45 #40  

a 250 with the additional towing package has the same rear axle as a 1 ton along with helper springs.

a loaded king ranch '20 has about 2800lbs cargo weight capacity

a regular 250 without that package has a capacity of about 2200lbs

a 350 would be rated somewhere around 3400

all example trucks are diesel, that number probably goes up 1000# per if you go with the 6.2 or 7.3 gas