Refinishing options for backhoe paint

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #11  
POR-15, it's a very good rust encapsulating paint that contains it. You should at least check it out.
No it dosnt..it just makes a layer of paint that water will get into causing more rust. Same for the "rust converting" paint. It's all junk and you can tell this by how they want you to prep the surface

Good old fashion elbow grease with a 4.5in grinder and knotted cup brush is the way to go. then an epoxy primer followed by your paint of choice.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #12  
Old equipment & rust.

Lots of work. Pressure wash, wire wheel, sanding disks, needle scaler and sand blaster can all be used for the original clean up. This should be followed by a rust inhibitor agent and then some rust inhibiting paint.

The rust inhibitor will cancel surface rust and also the inter-granular rust you can’t see. (Yes, a well wire brushed shiny surface can still contain rust that is not seen by one’s eye.)

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #13  
if your just painting and not restoring then id say used a combination of wirewheels/cups/sanding disks. you dont need to remove all of the paint, just degrease well and paint. also, if this machine get used often or sits outside, dont expect it to look pretty for long.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #14  
No it dosnt..it just makes a layer of paint that water will get into causing more rust. Same for the "rust converting" paint. It's all junk and you can tell this by how they want you to prep the surface

Good old fashion elbow grease with a 4.5in grinder and knotted cup brush is the way to go. then an epoxy primer followed by your paint of choice.

I’ve used Eastwood’s Rust Encapsulater for many years on many items, mostly on the frame of my “over the road” 2007 Kenworth. Very satisfied & continue to buy & recommend it, especially after seeing other eighteen wheelers the same age or newer with so much more damage from road chemicals. It’s not a total cure by any means, washing especially after a road run, & quickly painting over a bare area go a long ways.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #15  
I'm a believer in Ospho rust converter. It's essentially phosphoric acid that converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate. The rust as you know flakes off and does not adhere to the underlying metal. Iron phosphate on the other hand does cling to the underlying metal to slow down corrosion and forms a really good primer for paint.

It works best with a light surface coat of rust so it has something to convert. It does not work all that well on heavy rust.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #16  
Ospho is my go-to for surface rust also. To many projects to list no failures. 🍻

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #17  
This guy just hired some guys to come out and steam clean it. He may have done a little sanding but he wasn't clear he just mentioned sanding.
Nice job! My Massey 7495 needs painted. Give me your address. Where do I send the check?

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #18  
I have to agree with the knotted cup and/or straight knotted brush then going over it with Ospho. I've done more than several pieces of older equipment, tractor rims etc. Go over it good with the brush then brush on the Ospho. Kills remaining rust left in pits the brush can't quite get to. Put on a decent primer then topcoat. Oldest job has only been 5 years or so but no rust bleeding back through so far. It goes on like water so it goes a long way.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #20  
I'm a believer in Ospho rust converter. It's essentially phosphoric acid that converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate. The rust as you know flakes off and does not adhere to the underlying metal. Iron phosphate on the other hand does cling to the underlying metal to slow down corrosion and forms a really good primer for paint.

It works best with a light surface coat of rust so it has something to convert. It does not work all that well on heavy rust.
With pitted rust keeping working the Ospho in with a hand wire brush and wipe away excess rust that's brought up to the surface... repeat, repeat, repeat.. time consuming but it works..

Or go buy a sandblaster...