Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing Recommendation for 26hp CUT

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #1  

bobholland

Tractor
Mahindra 26xlHST, JD 870
I have a Mahindra 26XL HST with cab. I am looking for recommendations for a rear mount PTO blower. I am hoping for an electric chute operator but not completely necessary. Blowing snow at my cabin in the Cascades of Oregon. Currently have a FarmKing 600 but I would like to take that back down to the valley for use at home. USA manufacture if possible!

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #2  
According to tractordata.com it looks like your Mahindra 26XL has 20 HP at the PTO and your tractor is 54.3 inches wide.
I think a Frontier SB1164 would work well with your Mahindra 26XL.
The SB1164 requires Min. PTO HP of 20 HP and at 64 inches wide it has ample room on each side of your tires.
The large 24" diameter fan will give you plenty of snow casting distance.
Most other 3 pt. snowblowers 64" wide only offer 20" or 22" diameter fans.
A few years ago, and I think it's still true, RAD out of Canada made Frontier snowblowers, Blizzard is also made by RAD, and is basically the same snowblower as Frontier except Blizzard comes in Red which might color match your Mahindra 26XL a little better.
I have a Frontier SB1164 and it's been a rugged reliable snowblower.
I use it on a 2005 Kubota B7800 which has 22 HP PTO, I have never had a problem with lack of PTO HP.
With a Hydro trans, I just slow my ground speed for any hard to blow snow.

Here is a link for Blizzard snowblower

http://jswoodhouse.com/brochures/BerVac BlizzardSnowBl.pdf

Last edited:
   / Recommendation for 26hp CUT #3  
Buhler - FarmKing, Woods, are two american companies & I believe both make 60"-64" blowers. I have an older 54" on my 24 hP ~ 20 PTO and wet heavy snow will make it grunt. Not sure if you typically get powder or Sierra concrete in the cascades.

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #4  
Every Canadian made snow caster except for RAD and every American made snow caster is of high quality in build. They all use simple basic generic OEM parts
and one to one gear boxes.

I would avoid any snow caster made by RAD in Canada simply based on my bad experience with the JD branded junk I was saddled with.

I like the former Reist now MK Martin Meteor Single Stage snow throwers for their simplicity and ease of use. I used single stage IHC cub cadet snow throwers and Wheel Horse single stage snow throwers and they could go through any snow pack with no issues.
The single stage Meteors have no second stage impeller as it is not required or needed as the snow thrower rotor spins at 600-700 RPM and the chain drive is tensioned with a rubber torsion arm to maintain the tension on the drive chain.

There is no shear pin required on the snow blower rotor as the roller chain will break if needed and they are easy to repair. The roller chain is easily accessed by opening the roller chain guard door on the left side of the snow thrower. The sprockets can be changed to increase the speed of the snow thrower rotor as well with simple hand tools and a torque wrench along with some blue Loctite to prevent them from vibrating loose.

For simplicity the Meteor single stage units are the best in any situation and for small mules especially as there is no impeller to worry about or clog with wet snow as you can raise it and just take the heavy snow pack off in layers.

In my fifty years of experience in clearing snow I always found that the older simplicity, wheel horse and toro single stage units performed very well especially in every condition.

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #5  
Every Canadian made snow caster except for RAD and every American made snow caster is of high quality in build. They all use simple basic generic OEM parts
and one to one gear boxes.

I would avoid any snow caster made by RAD in Canada simply based on my bad experience with the JD branded junk I was saddled with.

RAD industries makes some of the best blowers available. I have a Blizzard that is top notch.

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #6  
I have a b54 Blizzard made by Rad with a hydraulic operated chute. The snow thrower part has operated flawlessly but the chute tends to pop out of the round plastic guide. I have to manually guide it whenever I turn it which defeats the purpose of a hydraulic chute!

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #7  
Mine was manual until I made it electric, the same size MK blower I looked at was 150lb's lighter and it looked it..

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #8  
MY JD/RAD 47 inch snow blower is a piece of expensive junk that I cannot
justify to buy $240.00 worth of V belts every time the driven belt breaks.
and it takes 4 hours to change the driven V belt.
I got tired of hearing "you get what you pay for from these dealers.
I figure that spending almost $4,000.00 for a 19 horsepower hydrostatic
drive tractor, a belly mower, 47 inch 2 stage snow blower and snow chains
that did not fit the rear tires I should have been sold a good machine.

I was told its a little light for what you want to do but I would have
much preferred that they had said; please I really do not want to sell you a lawn tractor that is too small.
You need a larger tractor like a series 1 1023 model; I would rather you invested in one of these and
simply bought a smaller dump trailer for your needs. Looking back 8 years I could have gotten by with
the one ton dump trailer and made more trips to haul firewood.

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #9  
MY JD/RAD 47 inch snow blower is a piece of expensive junk that I cannot
justify to buy $240.00 worth of V belts every time the driven belt breaks.
and it takes 4 hours to change the driven V belt.

V belts? We are talking about a 3pth snow blower driveshaft driven aren't we.

/ Recommendation for 26hp CUT #10  
V belts? We are talking about a 3pth snow blower driveshaft driven aren't we.

Yes but I was referring to the RAD junk I was saddled with as they shipped my snow blower short of parts and lindsey lawn equipment did not catch it when they assembled it nor did they send me a service bulletin that they would have received from deere regarding this.