Recommend a concealed carry gun...

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun...
I am so glad I started this thread before buying!! Man, I am learning quite a bit, thanks to y'all boys! So far, here's what I want to do now: check out some revolvers, and also some .22s. Yes, .22LR concealed carry. I have extensively researched this, and I have no problem with the power of .22LR. The main reason I would like a .22 is my fibromyalgia/arthritis pain. I can shoot rifles/shotguns no problem, but handguns put a bit of pressure on my hands. I forgot to mention this in my first post. For home defense, I have PLENTY of guns, including my Ruger 9mm (too big for concealment).

Reckon I'll have to check out a revolver and .22LR now. I'm really leaning toward the .22 now, because I do like to shoot a lot, and can shoot at my Rural Living place.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun...
I am so glad I started this thread before buying!! Man, I am learning quite a bit, thanks to y'all boys! So far, here's what I want to do now: check out some revolvers, and also some .22s. Yes, .22LR concealed carry. I have extensively researched this, and I have no problem with the power of .22LR. The main reason I would like a .22 is my fibromyalgia/arthritis pain. I can shoot rifles/shotguns no problem, but handguns put a bit of pressure on my hands. I forgot to mention this in my first post. For home defense, I have PLENTY of guns, including my Ruger 9mm (too big for concealment).

Reckon I'll have to check out a revolver and .22LR now. I'm really leaning toward the .22 now, because I do like to shoot a lot, and can shoot at my Rural Living place.

Hey, TBN, what is going on with all these double posts?!? The site has been acting strange in other ways too recently, more than it usually does. It's always been a bit strange for me, but worse lately... Fix it boys, please.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #103  
   / Recommend a concealed carry gun... #104  
There is no single right answer regarding what to carry. The answer is "it depends".. Depends on the perceived nature of the threat, season, dress etc.

For protection "in the woods" where one might still need to be discreet, one may want a 44 magnum with a 4" barrel. Black, brown bear, wolves, elk, moose, plenty of things that can hurt you really quick without even getting to people.

If I am doing a road trip in my car, I will usually carry a 1911 in 45acp. Same if I am going to be on private property with people I have an established relationship with. Easy to carry, very accurate to shoot and enough stopping power for people, deer, coyotes, livestock gone amok etc.

In situations where discretion is needed, especially in summer when it is hot and sweaty out, I carry a NAA Black widow in 22 magnum.
NAA Black widow.jpg
It is always better to be armed with SOMETHING as opposed to nothing. I am well aware of the limitations of the 5 shot, virtually unreloadable NAA, but if someone is intent on doing me harm and thought he was dealing with someone defenceless, he is in for a helluva surprise. That NAA has also broken off countless coyote attacks on the sheep herd, killed several possums and raccoons, not least of which was because I simply had it in my jeans pocket and reached in and pulled it out.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #105  
And almost all of the NAA mini-revolvers are available as "conversion" models, with both a .22LR and a .22WMR cylinder. With the little short barrels, there is not much additional power from the magnum, but they are a lot more intimidating just from the additional LOUD!

Maybe not self-defense in the same sense, but I just replenished my supply of .22 shot shells for me NAA Sidewinder and was reminded just how effective they are on SNAKES (and other vermin like mice).

- Jay

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #106  
The black Widow model has a 2" barrel so it is not as bad as the smaller ones (better velocity) and more accurate. But you are correct, especially in the dark, there is a big fireball and for something that small it is loud. Should help with the intimidation factor...

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #107  

If you are looking for a 22lr move up to a 22 magnum.I have a smith & wesson revolver(7shot) air-lite model 351c in 22 mag.Great little carry pistol.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #108  
If you are looking for a 22lr move up to a 22 magnum.I have a smith & wesson revolver(7shot) air-lite model 351c in 22 mag.Great little carry pistol.
Agree, I have a Winchester 9422m, my favorite rifle. While hard to find .22 magnum rounds there are many choices from 30gr, 33gr, 40gr, and if you find them all the way to 80gr. A revolver in that caliber would be a great addition to the perfect ranch rifle. For self defense I might recommend a revolver in .410 shot. Some very nice things happening in that caliber. HS

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #109  
Agree, I have a Winchester 9422m, my favorite rifle. While hard to find .22 magnum rounds there are many choices from 30gr, 33gr, 40gr, and if you find them all the way to 80gr. A revolver in that caliber would be a great addition to the perfect ranch rifle. For self defense I might recommend a revolver in .410 shot. Some very nice things happening in that caliber. HS
Really,never seen or heard of a 80 grain 22 mag?I thought they only made up to 50 grains.Post a pic of that 80 grain 22mag bullet like to see it.Thanks..The 22 mag bullet I use in my Smith & Wesson is the Hornady 45 grain FTX critical defense round.

Last edited:
   / Recommend a concealed carry gun... #110  
Curly Dave has good points about carrying a revolver and I'm glad he posted.
Even though I love my Glock 19, I more frequently (as I'd written in an earlier post) carry a .38SPL revolver in a pocket holster. That's about as easy as it gets.
The only downside of a revolver (snubbies especially) is the limited number of rounds (typically 5 rounds in a snubby revolver).
I carry both a shrouded hammer type (easy to draw, mostly DA, but can be cocked for SA) and an exposed trigger revolver. The shrouded hammer gun is less likely to snag when drawing from the holster.