Recommend a concealed carry gun...

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #1  

MacLawn

Veteran Member
Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
Tractor
JD 2210
Boys, I just applied for a permit, now need to decide what to get. I know there are a heap of choices, but want to see what ye boys carry. Here's a short list:

1. No revolver. Too thick.
2. I have big hands, but want very small gun.
3. Already have a Ruger Mark II .22 and Ruger 9mm.
4. So, I'd like to stay with those calibers.
5. Budget, about $500...

The above is not set in stone, just what I'm thinking.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #2  
Boy, you're going to get loads of suggestions. I have a Ruger LC9. I like everything about it except the trigger. Still, overall a good gun and easy to carry. I'd check out an M&P 9mm, heard good things about them and in your price range.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #3  
Take a look at the Kahr CW9. It's a single stack 7+1. I have fairly large hands as well , and it fits me fine.

For a full size I have a Ruger SR9 double stack.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #4  
As mentioned lots of advice on that question.
My favorite is the Walther PPS in 40SW. I am pretty sure you can get it in 9mm.
Small, thin, autoloader without a hammer to get snaged and fits larger hands great.
Striker fire so always ready.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #5  
A sig p938 is an excellent carry gun. It is a 9 mm, but a little above your budget.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #6  
Boy, you're going to get loads of suggestions. I have a Ruger LC9. I like everything about it except the trigger. Still, overall a good gun and easy to carry. I'd check out an M&P 9mm, heard good things about them and in your price range.

I have the S&W M&P in a 22 caliber, same frame as the 9mm and 40, excellent gun. I think I will buy the 9mm very soon because I like the 22 so well. If you have an Academy Sports close I would check there. Great prices.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #7  
As noted, lots of good choices, Kahr, S&W, Ruger, Sig etc. and the new Glock 43 would be a good choice. I'd try to shoot as many as possible. I don't really like shooting a small gun, but carry them for convenience.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #8  
For a defense gun, and wanting to stay with either a 22 or 9mm, I'd lean toward the 9mm.

Now for $500, you can buy any one of dozens of models. Lots of good ones, not many bad ones. Just have to get the one that fits you the best. What you may like as far as feel and shoot-ability, someone else may not like. You need to spend some time at a gun shop that has several different brands and feel them out.

/ Recommend a concealed carry gun... #9  
You're going to probably figure out that there isn't a "perfect" gun that's a "one size fits all". Instead, you'll probably end up with a few different ones that fit the current need/attire.

I have a little KelTec P3AT in .380 that is in a front pocket 90% of the time. But I also will sometimes carry a Sig P230 in .380 in a IWB holster or jacket pocket or a 1911 in 10mm in a IWB or OWB holster.