Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I'm putting my John Deere dozer back together after having to replace the hydraulic pump. The system has drained out so all of the fluid will have to be replace. No problem, probably should be done every once in awhile anyways. I was going to go to Tractor Supply and buy it, but looked on the inter-net and their hydraulic fluid is not recommended if it has to be used in an application with wet clutch plates. Seems there is an additive that attacks the glue that bonds the fiber plates to the steel plates. Would this TSC hydraulic fluid be ok for my application that just raises and lowers the blade? Is there a better fluid out there that I should/could use instead? Thanks for all answers and suggestions. Much appreciated. RRM

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #2  
My JD 455 crawler has a separate hydraulic system with a pump driven from the front of the crankshaft and a reservoir on the right side of the seat. I think your 350 is similar. The planetary clutch pack transmission, bevel gear, and wet steering clutches and brakes, share a separate system. So the hydraulic fluid does not contact the drive train.

If I am feeling rich I use in the hydraulic system the same JD Hy-Gard "C" (normal viscosity) that JD specs for the entire machine (final drives, transmission/clutches/brakes, hydraulics) other than the engine. If I am feeling poor or if the backhoe is being used, with its leaking swing motor, I get the cheapest thing I can find in SAE 20.

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #3  
I'm not very knowledgeable on industrial equipment but I sure thought a JD 350 dozer would have wet steering clutches.

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #4  
I'm not very knowledgeable on industrial equipment but I sure thought a JD 350 dozer would have wet steering clutches.

A John Deere 350B has dry steering clutches. It uses JD 303 hydraulic oil in the system

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #6  
A John Deere 350B has dry steering clutches. It uses JD 303 hydraulic oil in the system

303 is outdated and replaced with Hy-Gard oil. If 350 crawler has dry steering clutches then why does it have a power steering pump & lines? Also that would be first time for me to see a multi-disk dry clutch but as I stated my ind experience is very limited.

Attachments

• T24972_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T24972_________UN01JAN94.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 5,689
  • T34084_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T34084_________UN01JAN94.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,960
  • T9674__________UN01JAN94.gif
    T9674__________UN01JAN94.gif
    16 KB · Views: 2,605
   / Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #7  
their is hydraulic cylinders on the steering levers for power assist

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #8  
ever store in town caries 303 speck oil so that is why i use it. The drive clutches in the reverser are wet. I think the JD 350C has wet steering clutches.

Last edited:
   / Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #9  
The photo of the clutches I posted was for steering.

/ Recommeded hydraulic fluid for my 350 John deere dozer #10  
The photo of the clutches I posted was for steering.

This photo shows a stack of dry clutches with a common pressure plate. This is what is used in my JD350B. Wet clutches would have a piston against the clutch plates for pressure