Rebuilding small stone road

/ Rebuilding small stone road #31  
I use crusher run. There are two quarries nearby. One has more fines in it that will wash off. The other ...I have no clue what's in it, but it really holds together well. If you have multiple sources of supply available, you might want to ask around to see which supplier actually has the better material. A local road contractor told me about the difference in materials here. He was 100% correct.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #32  
"What type of stone does everyone like to use to top dress a driveway like this one ??"

Crusher run

/ Rebuilding small stone road
Our “crusher run” is also called “crushed concrete”. I dont know if its the same as your crusher run.
I was a big fan of it 10+ years ago because it was cheap fill, then stopped using it for 2 reasons:
1. Too much WWF in it for my liking. Punctured a few tires
2. The color of it is like a “dirty white” after a few years it looked unattractive to my customers.

I like the darker color of limestone or granite and so did they.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #34  
Crusher run here is not crushed concrete. It's a mix of 1A and 2 gravel and stone dust. It compacts well.

/ Rebuilding small stone road
Crusher run here is not crushed concrete. It's a mix of 1A and 2 gravel and stone dust. It compacts well.

Cool! Here we call that “modified”. I use that all the time and it does compact well.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #36  
"What type of stone does everyone like to use to top dress a driveway like this one ??"

Crusher run
The pit I get it from called it 3/4 crushed and is light brown in color . It seems to pack well . We are doing the second half of a 1/3 of a mile drive this spring . Just thought there might be something better.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #37  
The more fines the better compaction.

I have a neighbor that swears by #2 washed stone, his driveway is like walking on marbles. Looks great, but it's all loose stone, no compaction.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #38  
If you have multiple quarries around you to choose from, you might ask the road contractors near you whether any of the "3/4 crushed" compacts better than the other choices. There may or may not be a different composition in material between quarry sites even though all of them call it the same thing and crush the material to the same size specifications. The only way I found out about the difference in crusher run locally was because a very knowledgeable road builder told me.

I'd encourage you to check with your local sources and see what recommendations they might have for you in the area where you are.

/ Rebuilding small stone road #39  
Its amazing adding layers of stone on top of probably 100-200 years of previous stone, and it just sinks into the ground lol
I know where the stones are going that sink into the ground.
They are popping up in my hay field, stop doing it. ;)
Seriously your work and road look great. I wish the county road I use to get to my road was as good.