Ballast Rear wheel weights for a 2720?

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #11  
For those of you still shopping for wheel weights for the JD2720, here's a "heads up" for you. I just purchased a set of four from North State Sales Company of Greensboro NC. The price was the attraction here (about half of what the JD version is) but I've been badly burned to the tune of $450 including tax, freight and hardware. I had specified the exact tractor on which they were to be used, acknowledged by North State, and shipped. Bottom Line: They don't fit.....hardware sent was for 5/8" square holes in wheel where the 2720 has 1/2". Diameter of the wheel weights themselves (15") was 1/8" - 3/16" too large for the recessed well of the 2720 (which measures somewhere around 14-7/8"). Freight charges make it very unattractive to return them even if North State would agree. My advice....buy the John Deere weights! I plan to make these available virtually free to anyone who can use them....I'll post exact dimensions soon...you just pay the freight to your destination.

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #12  
that sucks

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #13  
For those of you still shopping for wheel weights for the JD2720, here's a "heads up" for you. I just purchased a set of four from North State Sales Company of Greensboro NC. The price was the attraction here (about half of what the JD version is) but I've been badly burned to the tune of $450 including tax, freight and hardware. I had specified the exact tractor on which they were to be used, acknowledged by North State, and shipped. Bottom Line: They don't fit.....hardware sent was for 5/8" square holes in wheel where the 2720 has 1/2". Diameter of the wheel weights themselves (15") was 1/8" - 3/16" too large for the recessed well of the 2720 (which measures somewhere around 14-7/8"). Freight charges make it very unattractive to return them even if North State would agree. My advice....buy the John Deere weights! I plan to make these available virtually free to anyone who can use them....I'll post exact dimensions soon...you just pay the freight to your destination.

Geez, that's too bad. Just wasn't your day.

You could probably get a JD ballast box and fill it with cement for under $300.

I love my ballast box. Improves tractor performance dramatically.

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #14  
Ballast box works awesome, but I want added weight when my ballast box is off, and also so I can take a little weight out of the ballast box. The box is great, but it makes it buck alot when you get in rough ground.

That is a very good point Deadman, the ballast box is great but dead weight on the wheels that doesn't leak out is also needed. I bought about 1100 lbs of iron weight for my 4520 but atleast it is a permanent fix.

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #15  

Throw the oversized cast iron in your ballast box and try to forget about the bad feeling you have now. You never know, some day they may be the perfict fit for that new project.

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #16  
To those who recommend a ballast box - what happens if you want to use a three-point implement such as a rear blade? The way I see it, wheel weights are compatible with a wider variety of tractor configurations.
Mike

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #17  
To those who recommend a ballast box - what happens if you want to use a three-point implement such as a rear blade? The way I see it, wheel weights are compatible with a wider variety of tractor configurations.
Mike

That is a valid point also Mike. This is an 8 in 1 tool problem really, enough weight for ground engagement is too much for mowing the manicured lawn. I use an assortment of different sized units because the 8 in 1 method simply doesn't work well.

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #18  
Mike

Well, I recommend a ballast box.

The ballast is for when you use the front-end-loader. If you then need to use the rake, remove the ballast box and put the rake on.

I certainly like the wheel weights over anything liquid in my tires. I ain't never going there.

My ballast box is on wheels and hooks up real easy. And, the performance of the tractor goes through the roof with it on. A mighty fine attachment and worth every dollar that is in it.:thumbsup:

On a large tractor, say 45+ HP, I would definately be looking at wheel weights. Or suitcase weights or whatever. On my 24hp the ballast box is perfect.

/ Rear wheel weights for a 2720? #19  

That really sucks, but would it be possible to grind the edges to make it fit and also to use 1/2 diameter bolts from the hardware store and washers to attach them? I would think they could be modified to work, although it's terrible they claim if fits but doesn't.