Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor?

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hi all, I recently bought a 2000 New Holland 545D and it came with some retreaded aircraft tires. Is this common? There's a ground off Boeing part # on a tire. One tire is on backwards and I would like to get it turned around but there's no way I'm doing it myself. I don't think I'll have to worry much about getting a flat , overloading and going to fast with these tires, they have a 30PR. My buddy pulled a 1-1/4" nail out of the tire, it wasn't in the tread either.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    994.1 KB · Views: 802
   / Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #2  
If its 2WD,sometimes they mount one backwards to reverse out of a jam.Never heard of aircraft tires being used for tractors.what does the thread look like?

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #3  
With a load rating over 46,700 lb and speed rating of 225 MPH I don't think you or your tractor will have to worry about exceeding the limits.

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #4  
I know used aircraft tires were used on things like hay trailers and such for years. Even with the steel cords showing, a 26 ply tire (such as used on the F-4 Phantom) would go years (or decades) on farm equipment.
Haven't seen them used on tractors though...I wouldn't think the tread would provide adequate traction.

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor?
The tread is about 1" high, standard R-4. It's hard to believe this tractor only has 34hrs on it. It's been bumped around in a parking lot for years.

On Edit: one tire is a 30PR & the other is 32PR with a load of 50,000lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 695
   / Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #6  
The tread is about 1" high, standard R-4. It's hard to believe this tractor only has 34hrs on it. It's been bumped around in a parking lot for years.

On Edit: one tire is a 30PR & the other is 32PR with a load of 50,000lbs.

Pretty sure you will never ever, ever get a flat tire! Even with the valve stem missing. Used aircraft tires are sought after for farm implement tires for their extremely heavy built casings.

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #7  
Airplane tires are excellent on brush mowers. Seen them on tractor fronts. These folks sell the tires. They also manufacture any wheel you may need. Excellent to do business with.

A few years ago, I went to their shop to buy a couple 15" airplane tires for an 8' brush mower. I bought two tires, mounted on wheels, wheels painted and had the shield for the valve stem for less then I could buy two tires for at the tire store.

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #8  
Not that it matters, but I'm sure that the 225 mph rating is no longer valid with R4 tread on it.

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #9  
they've been used on tractors for years, the Ford dealer I used to work at built right-a-way mowing tractors, we used 24 ply r-1 retreaded tires, toughest thing out there!

these are great people to deal with, I have 18 ply fronts on my backhoe from them

Gensco Tire. Home of the no flat aircraft tire.

/ Rear retreaded Aircraft tires on a tractor? #10  
The 46k and 50k load rating is probably a bit overrated in the application. They would only meet that rating at the appropriate pressure, which I doubt a homeowner ~100psi aircompressor can muster