Rear discharge finish mower

/ Rear discharge finish mower #11  
Depending on your tractor, taking the FEL off may mean you'll need front counter weights. Again depends on your application.

As for striping, you may not like the results as I get four wheel mark for the mower as the front and rear wheel don't line up with each other(not sure why:anyone:). Than I also get two more marks from the tractor. You may be able to make or purchase an actual striping kit which would solve the issue. Also likely your tractor is heavier than your riding mower. My mower is Buhler/Farmking rear discharge(floating).

Although I see the point about pushing the clippings off to one side may be nice, I don't dislike the rear discharge.

/ Rear discharge finish mower
Depending on your tractor, taking the FEL off may mean you'll need front counter weights. Again depends on your application.

As for striping, you may not like the results as I get four wheel mark for the mower as the front and rear wheel don't line up with each other(not sure why:anyone:). Than I also get two more marks from the tractor. You may be able to make or purchase an actual striping kit which would solve the issue. Also likely your tractor is heavier than your riding mower. My mower is Buhler/Farmking rear discharge(floating).

Although I see the point about pushing the clippings off to one side may be nice, I don't dislike the rear discharge.

I was wondering if may need a counter weight. If I get one I will try to make sure the wheels on the mower line up with each other. Right now I only have a small nibble on the cub cadet.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #13  
I have had a Woods 72" rear discharge finish mower for the last 5 years and it is one of the best mowing machines I have ever owned. It has the 'floating' attachments on the 3PH and it follows the contour to a tee. Others have commented on some of the things to watch for such a 'crabbing' on a hillside (I find using 4X4 helps a lot) and the wider swing radius but once you get used to it you'll find you can mow within 6" of the base of a tree without a hitch.

There are lots of discussions on rear-vs-side discharge and each has their advantages & disadvantages. No... you can't easily blow the clippings off to one side of the mowing area with a RD but if there is a certain area where you really need to accomplish this, it can be done by mowing in reverse as mine will blow the clippings pretty well off to one side going backwards.

But... if you are using a finish mower... the grass should never really get that high anyway... that's why it a FINISH mower. If you want to mow a grown field buy a brush-hog or a sickle mower. Oh, and BTW... mine stripes nicely.

Just my 2「... YMMV.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #14  
I currently have a Cub Cadet 2206? It does a good job. I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Cub Cadet and getting a rear discharge finish mower. How good of a job do rear discharge finish mowers do? Do they stripe the yard nicely? What are the pros and cons of have a rear discharge finish mower over a riding mower? I know it would be one less machine to maintain but it would be larger to maneuver.

There is no reason you cannot use a Caroni Flail Mower for
this mowing and it has rear discharge and stripes automatically
with a built in full width rear roller at no extra charge.

EDIT: The Caroni flail mower will handle the long grass easily as well.
if you do not have loaded tires you need to think about suitcase
weights if they offer them,

5picker said:
I have had a Woods 72" rear discharge finish mower for the last 5 years and it is one of the best mowing machines I have ever owned. It has the 'floating' attachments on the 3PH and it follows the contour to a tee. Others have commented on some of the things to watch for such a 'crabbing' on a hillside (I find using 4X4 helps a lot) and the wider swing radius but once you get used to it you'll find you can mow within 6" of the base of a tree without a hitch.

There are lots of discussions on rear-vs-side discharge and each has their advantages & disadvantages. No... you can't easily blow the clippings off to one side of the mowing area with a RD but if there is a certain area where you really need to accomplish this, it can be done by mowing in reverse as mine will blow the clippings pretty well off to one side going backwards.

But... if you are using a finish mower... the grass should never really get that high anyway... that's why it a FINISH mower. If you want to mow a grown field buy a brush-hog or a sickle mower. Oh, and BTW... mine stripes nicely.

Just my 2「... YMMV.

Thanks for the reply. You answered all of my questions very well.

leonz said:
There is no reason you cannot use a Caroni Flail Mower for
this mowing and it has rear discharge and stripes automatically
with a built in full width rear roller at no extra charge.

EDIT: The Caroni flail mower will handle the long grass easily as well.
if you do not have loaded tires you need to think about suitcase
weights if they offer them,

Can you use a flail mower as a finishing mower?

/ Rear discharge finish mower #17  
Can you use a flail mower as a finishing mower?

In one word YES.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #18  
I used a RFM on a B7800 that I owned a few years ago. It was a cheap Red mowing deck. I have a hillside sort of rough yard, not a lawn. It kept breaking. I talked to my dealer Steve Barlow about the bad cheap deck. After having used it for a year or more he told me he would give me what I paid for it toward a Landpride. I took him up on the deal and got a 6' Landpride which was built like a tank and you could see every weld, unlike the Pretty slick finished Red one I first owned. Unless you have smooth level lawn don't buy a cheap light weight mowing deck. Don't think I would even if I had a smooth level lawn. I've found out that weight makes a difference in implements, go heavy.:thumbsup:
When I'd get to the bottom of my hill and make my turn the Landpride would sort of swing my tractor around which was OK, after the first time doing it, since I needed to turn anyway.:D The pretty cheap junky Red one didn't have enough weight to affect the tractor.
I preferred the rear discharge deck since it laid the cut grass down evenly on the ground instead of in rows like a side discharge. I currently have two Kubota F mowers with the front decks and they are both rear discharge. I prefer rear discharge.
I am one of those "don't mow till you can clearly see what needs mowed" and you can always tell what has and has not been mowed.:) My neighbors mow about 2 to my one time.