Rear discharge finish mower

/ Rear discharge finish mower #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
I currently have a Cub Cadet 2206? It does a good job. I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Cub Cadet and getting a rear discharge finish mower. How good of a job do rear discharge finish mowers do? Do they stripe the yard nicely? What are the pros and cons of have a rear discharge finish mower over a riding mower? I know it would be one less machine to maintain but it would be larger to maneuver.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #2  
I use a Caroni 59" rear discharge behind our 3038e when mowing at the mother-in-law's place. I'm not sure about the "stripe" thing, since I haven't noticed that effect it probably doesn't.

The quality of the cut is at least as good as was done by the 48" deck riding mower used previously, and at higher travel speeds. This is most noticeable where the grass is thickest/longest. The PTO powered blades have the advantage. Where you'd have to cut twice or move at a crawl with a riding mower, the PTO finish mower handles it without a change in speed.

The down side to pulling a finish mower is in regards to trimming around things like plantings, trees or things with irregular outlines. The mower deck is positioned behind the rear wheel turn point, so it will not track on top of the inside tire's path when turning sharply the way a belly mower does. With a rear mower there would be a noticeable space between the inside tire track & the mower track for the duration of the turn.

The only way to offset that is doing some cutting in reverse, which puts the mower track to the inside of the tire track during a sharp turn. For straight lines, gentle turns, and open areas it is not an issue, just when you are running your tire right beside items. Things might be different with a mower wider than your tractor width, but that could add additional, different, navigation issues.

The other consideration is the potential for a rigid top link connection to limit the degree of "float" available to the mower when traversing a sharp hump or dip. This limitation could result in either the lead or trailing wheels being cantilevered off the ground enough for a patch of irregular cut length. This potential limitation can be reduced by using a more flexible top link connection - such as using a length of chain in the connection - if needed.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the form factor of tractor + mower. It is probably significantly taller than a riding mower, which might limit where you can go. Also, the combined length of tractor + mower (especially if you have a loader mounted) might limit those areas where you can turn around, or back into.

Having said that, it is still the fastest way to cut her yard. We used to spend 6 - 8 hours (depending on grass height) mowing using a riding mower with a 48" deck. The 59" Caroni behind the 3038e gets it done in 2 - 3 hours, which is quicker than the times when we would use 2 riding mowers simultaneously. Even with the trimming hassles.

Nick

/ Rear discharge finish mower #3  
I use a Caroni 59" rear discharge behind our 3038e when mowing at the mother-in-law's place. I'm not sure about the "stripe" thing, since I haven't noticed that effect it probably doesn't.

The quality of the cut is at least as good as was done by the 48" deck riding mower used previously, and at higher travel speeds. This is most noticeable where the grass is thickest/longest. The PTO powered blades have the advantage. Where you'd have to cut twice or move at a crawl with a riding mower, the PTO finish mower handles it without a change in speed.

The down side to pulling a finish mower is in regards to trimming around things like plantings, trees or things with irregular outlines. The mower deck is positioned behind the rear wheel turn point, so it will not track on top of the inside tire's path when turning sharply the way a belly mower does. With a rear mower there would be a noticeable space between the inside tire track & the mower track for the duration of the turn.

The only way to offset that is doing some cutting in reverse, which puts the mower track to the inside of the tire track during a sharp turn. For straight lines, gentle turns, and open areas it is not an issue, just when you are running your tire right beside items. Things might be different with a mower wider than your tractor width, but that could add additional, different, navigation issues.

The other consideration is the potential for a rigid top link connection to limit the degree of "float" available to the mower when traversing a sharp hump or dip. This limitation could result in either the lead or trailing wheels being cantilevered off the ground enough for a patch of irregular cut length. This potential limitation can be reduced by using a more flexible top link connection - such as using a length of chain in the connection - if needed.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the form factor of tractor + mower. It is probably significantly taller than a riding mower, which might limit where you can go. Also, the combined length of tractor + mower (especially if you have a loader mounted) might limit those areas where you can turn around, or back into.

Having said that, it is still the fastest way to cut her yard. We used to spend 6 - 8 hours (depending on grass height) mowing using a riding mower with a 48" deck. The 59" Caroni behind the 3038e gets it done in 2 - 3 hours, which is quicker than the times when we would use 2 riding mowers simultaneously. Even with the trimming hassles.

Nick

I agree with most of the above, the only comment is to the above about the "float" is it depends on the mower. Some allow for this, and some don't, the Frontier(Woods) RFM I have has pivoting links for the lower links that allow it to float perpendicular to direction of travel and since it uses chains for the top link it floats fore-and-aft pretty well.

the only thing I can add it that if you have hilly/steep areas to mow, a RFM can make things interesting. the mower actually causes the rearend to slide or drift down the bank somewhat and the tractor ends up "crabbing" across the hill
At least in my experience with mine.

/ Rear discharge finish mower
Thanks for the replies. If I decide to go with one I will get one with a floating hitch. I understand about the how the mower tracks behind the tractor. I can take the loader off to make the tractor smaller.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #5  
I use an 84" First Choice rear discharge.
It has all the pivoting links you need for floating and it mows real nice.
I don't do striping.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #6  
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first post: I can't add much to the riding mower vs rear mower discussion, but thought I'd make a couple of observations on side discharge vs rear discharge mowers - until it totally rusted away we used a Woods side discharge 6' mower on approx. 5 acres of rough "lawn." The second mower we bought was a 6' Woods rear discharge. For our particular situation, I regret the day we purchased the rear discharge for one main reason: with the side discharge you could sweep the clippings to the edge by mowing in the same direction or push debris up against tree trunks as mulch. With the rear discharge the clippings are left behind, and if the grass is allowed to get too tall, you leave an unsightly trail and inadvertently mulch the grass (not good).

Sorry for the long-winded first post. Take care, all,

David on the Edge of America in coastal SC

/ Rear discharge finish mower
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first post: I can't add much to the riding mower vs rear mower discussion, but thought I'd make a couple of observations on side discharge vs rear discharge mowers - until it totally rusted away we used a Woods side discharge 6' mower on approx. 5 acres of rough "lawn." The second mower we bought was a 6' Woods rear discharge. For our particular situation, I regret the day we purchased the rear discharge for one main reason: with the side discharge you could sweep the clippings to the edge by mowing in the same direction or push debris up against tree trunks as mulch. With the rear discharge the clippings are left behind, and if the grass is allowed to get too tall, you leave an unsightly trail and inadvertently mulch the grass (not good).

Sorry for the long-winded first post. Take care, all,

David on the Edge of America in coastal SC

If you don't let the grass get tall does side discharge do a good job? Does it stripe the yard nicely?

/ Rear discharge finish mower #8  
I use a Caroni 71" rear discharge RFM, and it stripes very nicely.

It has no "float", but the top link is not fixed. It allows some flex to the deck.

It has been used on very flat, completely open land for 10+ years. Other than the paint weathering, the deck is in pristine condition.

Rod

/ Rear discharge finish mower #9  
I use a DelMarino 72" rear discharge mower with a floating top link, the mower has 4 large pivoting guide wheels and gives a perfect cut everytime.

/ Rear discharge finish mower #10  
I have a Phoenix/First Choice/Sicma, rear discharge. I briefly had a side discharge and I much, much prefer the rear discharge for fine distribution of the clippings. Everyone has difference preferences.

The cut is really quite incredible. Yes, it floats.