Rear differential lock

/ Rear differential lock #12  
Mowing our hillside farm yard needs 4wd and occasional diff lock. Wife mows and difficult to fully engage so the step helps. The smaller step on the bigger tractor helps me. Often digging has muddy boots involed and the cleated steps grip better.

/ Rear differential lock #13  
This was a "$%#@^%#!" for me yesterday in fact. I pretty much only use the diff lock when things get muddy... and then my boots are muddy. By the time the diff lock engages I hear "twang" as my boot slips off of the kindergartner's pedal.
Don't get me started on the location of the thing now....

/ Rear differential lock #14  
This was a "$%#@^%#!" for me yesterday in fact. I pretty much only use the diff lock when things get muddy... and then my boots are muddy. By the time the diff lock engages I hear "twang" as my boot slips off of the kindergartner's pedal.
Don't get me started on the location of the thing now....
That's how I wrecked mine. Coming out the trail pulling a full load and when it started to spin I'd lock the rears. I was wearing soft soled rubber boots and should have realized when it wouldn't stay locked in, but was more intent on getting the wood out.
I can still get it to lock sometimes, if my boots have a hard sole.

It'll be a couple of thousand, if I pay somebody to do it. :(

/ Rear differential lock #15  
That's how I wrecked mine. Coming out the trail pulling a full load and when it started to spin I'd lock the rears. I was wearing soft soled rubber boots and should have realized when it wouldn't stay locked in, but was more intent on getting the wood out.
I can still get it to lock sometimes, if my boots have a hard sole.

It'll be a couple of thousand, if I pay somebody to do it. :(
There is some external adjustment.

Proper use is important. Mechanical engagement. All the way engaged or off. Hard to fully engage a small round rod, high spring tension return with muddy boots. Not the most ergonomic design. Often competing with other operating functions like steering, loader control, slope, trees, rear implement control or towing. Use on our farm is often. With R4 tires more often. With many different tractors over the years have never had a problem with wear or failure on the differential lock.

Scrap tubing drop and split shaft collar(s) is all thatā€™s needed. The B26 was 5/8ā€ and M59 was
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1812.jpeg
9/16ā€. The rods are probably metric but those sizes fit and what I could easily source. Some have sourced a lower tension spring. The return springs are pretty stout. The cleat pedal solved issues with multiple operators.

/ Rear differential lock #16  
Nice job making those. For some reason, Iā€™ve only needed my diff lock 1 time , best as I can recall, in past 10 years. Maybe because I donā€™t have mud and clay here. Not sure.