Real Dirty Air filter

/ Real Dirty Air filter #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
Here is a picture of a air filter out of a customers Durango.

IMG_20130202_122830_zpsdcd31153.jpg

/ Real Dirty Air filter #2  
Holy cow! My truck air filter wasn't even 1/10th as bad, and that was after a couple years and one ashy volcano eruption!

/ Real Dirty Air filter
It was a MOPAR filter, 190,000 miles on the vehicle. It may have been the original:confused3:

/ Real Dirty Air filter #4  
It's surprising the vehicle even ran. Maybe two or three MPG and a little hesitation on acceleration?

/ Real Dirty Air filter #5  
I wonder what the plugs look like! Some people should be ordered to use dealer maintenance contracts...
190,000 miles on that filter?
Another bullet-proof Chrysler engine!

For around $30 and 10 minutes of my time, I change mine every year just for piece of mind.

/ Real Dirty Air filter #8  
When changing one of my truck's air filters a couple of years ago, I found a mouse had packed the air box full of chewed up cloth fibers. It was a hard packed colorful blob of fiber, sucked up tight against the filter,made mostly from a bag of clothes waiting to go to Good Will that was in the garage. When I opened the box I still remember the sick feeling that came over me. Luckily the mouse didn't perforate the filter so a quick cleaning was all that was needed. I check my filters regularly so I know it was built in little time. I now check more often because more can be wrong than a typical dirty filter like is shown in this thread.
BTW, I had noticed my mpgs were down by a few before cleaning, but thought it was typical winter fuel/weather issues. They jumped right back up after cleaning the box. I also checked the air filter in my wife's car at the same time and it was about 1/4 full too. I now have 3 baited mouse traps in my garage at all times. :)

/ Real Dirty Air filter
What service was it in for?

It was in for a missfire. I found it had a missfire on cyl #2. It had good spark and fuel. I then ran a compression test. Everything was good but when I had the compression gauge on cyl #2 it was making a popping noise back through the intake. Take the gauge out the noise was not there. I then pulled the valve cover and found a cam follower off of the #2 cyl exhaust side. Apparently it dropped a valve seat which is common for these engines, the follower fell out and then the valve spring pull the valve seat back into place. The guy was going to trade it, then just try to sell it himself, now he is talking about getting a used engine for it.

When changing one of my truck's air filters a couple of years ago, I found a mouse had packed the air box full of chewed up cloth fibers. It was a hard packed colorful blob of fiber, sucked up tight against the filter,made mostly from a bag of clothes waiting to go to Good Will that was in the garage. When I opened the box I still remember the sick feeling that came over me. Luckily the mouse didn't perforate the filter so a quick cleaning was all that was needed. I check my filters regularly so I know it was built in little time. I now check more often because more can be wrong than a typical dirty filter like is shown in this thread.
BTW, I had noticed my mpgs were down by a few before cleaning, but thought it was typical winter fuel/weather issues. They jumped right back up after cleaning the box. I also checked the air filter in my wife's car at the same time and it was about 1/4 full too. I now have 3 baited mouse traps in my garage at all times. :)

I see that a lot.

/ Real Dirty Air filter #10  
hey.. filters get more efficient the dirtier they get right? :)