Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs??

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I re-fill two yellow 5-gal diesel jugs about once a week for my tractor, & it seems like there's got to be a better way.

I'd like to 1) get more fuel per trip to the station (maybe 25 to 50 gals) & 2) not have to hold 5 gallons in mid-air while it starts to empty into my tank.

I'd prefer to avoid an electric pump - I guess I'm saying a mechanical one should work for me. Or maybe I could bring the tank above the tractor & gravity-feed it. I've thought about making a contraption I could use to set the filled transfer tank on & crank it up above the tractor. Just wondering if there's an easier way without breaking the bank ... or any other ideas for that matter?

(BTW, just last nite I made a little mod to my current setup: I drilled a 1/4" vent hole in each of two 5-gal jugs. I've got them plugged with 5/16" bolts. I haven't tried filling & then emptying them, yet, but at least I won't have to hold 5 gallons in mid-air as long anymore)

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #2  
if you have forks you could fill up a 45 gal drum with your truck then raise the drum with your forks to fill the tractor.if you don't have forks you could weld something together to fit on you bucket.good luck

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #3  
I really hate this job also, especially the new style jugs its like you need 3 hands just to get them to work then they take forever to fill.

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #4  
if you have forks you could fill up a 45 gal drum with your truck then raise the drum with your forks to fill the tractor.if you don't have forks you could weld something together to fit on you bucket.good luck

Thats a great idea!

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #5  
I only use a small amount but Gets heavy after a while so I got a battery operated pump for a space heater and stick it into my can. It will pump about 3/4 of the can then I hold it for the rest, works for me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #6  
I really like the no-spill containers, as they can be tilted and when in place, the plunger pushed to let the fuel flow. When 5 gal is too heavy to lift, I will just put in 4 gal at a time at the pump. I get mine here, although they are also available at a local farm store.
Bailey's - Fuel Cans & Fuel Additives > No Spill

I have a 30 gal barrel that I painted yellow and filled it in town and lifted it off the trailer with the FEL. Had a hose with nozzle to fill. But that became more of a nuisance and more fiddling around than just carrying fuel home in the no-spill cans.

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #7  
If you have a P/U a manual pump skid tank that fits in the bed could be one option.:D

A larger fuel tank on an elevated stand with gravity flow could be set up. Requires it be filled by a fuel truck and that may involve min. quantity deliveries.:D

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #8  
You can always get a 55 gallon drum (if you have a pickup or trailer) and a hand pump for it. If you turn the key on your kubota will beep faster and faster until it's a sold tone telling you when it's full so you don't have to look in the tank while filling. I use an electric pump but have used the cheap rotary pumps from HF in the past, they seam to do the job.

Search results for: 'barrel pump'

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #9  
33631_lg.jpg

----------------------------------------------
Quickly and safely transfer fuel with the patented Flo n' go hand pump. Prevents accidental spills and overfilling. Transfers fluids vertically or horizontally on level surfaces with minimal priming. It's like having your own portable fuel pump for refueling personal watercraft, generators, pumps, engine-driven compressors, log splitters, lawn care products and other outdoor power equipment, ATVs, snow mobiles, vehicles and more. Ideal for campers, hunters and outdoor enthusiasts.

Features + Benefits
Prevents accidental spills and overfilling
Transfers fluids on level surfaces with minimal priming
Works standing vertically or lying horizontally
Finger recesses at base and sturdy handle at top so 2 can easily carry if necessary
Drop-tested with a full load onto 6in. wheels for assured dependability and long service life
Dual bress shutoff valves for spillproof disconnection of hand pump
Vented fill cap
Bolt-on hanger for hose storage
Recessed grooves for easy strapping locations and safer transport

See Feature Highlights
What's Included
(1) Fuel caddy
(1) Flo 'n' go hose assembly
(1) Hose hanger
See Available Accessories
Content Links
33631 Product Manual
Key Specs
Compatible With Gasoline, diesel or kerosene fuels
Tank Size (gal.) 14
Pump Type Flo and go (gravity fed)
Hose Length (ft.) 10
Dimensions L x W x H (in.) 16 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 33 11/16
Material Type Polyethylene
Wheels (qty.) 2
Wheel Type Solid
Manufacturer Warranty 12 months limited parts / No labor
Ship Weight 20.0 lbs
Item# 33631

Brand
Shop for Flo n' go
Duramax 14 Gallon Fuel Caddy, Model# 06792
Order Today and Save $15 Item# 33631
Was $129.99
Sale $114.99

/ Re-fills: Is there an easier way than two 5-gal diesel jugs?? #10  
Mark
Nice pic. But any description?

Looks like a hand squeeze pump in the nozzle. And a small hose.