Rant on shipping

/ Rant on shipping #1,681  
I HAD one vendor who seemed to have an item in stock that others did not (backordered) so I ordered through them at a higher price. AFTER the whole transaction was complete, they notified me that my order would ship when they received more from the manufacturer. Backordered!
So you cancelled the order and got a refund, no?

/ Rant on shipping #1,682  
Back when I was on a "Made in USA" kick I ordered a pair or two of jeans. They charged my account immediately... then informed me they would send them as soon as they get enough orders to buy from the manufacturer. Huh? I canceled the order and got a refund.

/ Rant on shipping #1,683  
My wife and I both sell quite a few things on Ebay and we both have worked in a USPS mail processing facility, she retired, I am still there, but my retirement is about two months away. Anyway, I get to see many packages get damaged during processing. Sometimes the contents remain with the package, sometimes they don't.
It is important, if you are shipping something, whether by USPS, UPS or Fedex or some other shipper, to package the item securely so it does not shift around inside the box during the processing. There is very little human handling of packages, or letters for that matter anymore. It is all done by machine which don't read your fragile, do not bend, glass, etc messages. The machines only look for an address, they also weigh and measure the package. I recommend placing an address label with the delivery address securely attached to the item inside the box you are shipping. If you can also attach a copy of the tracking barcode, that is even better. Then, in the unlikely event your contents get lost from it's box, at least the shipper will know where to send it after re-wrapping. If you don't have an address label on it, it will probably end up in the lost mail auction in Atlanta, sold to the highest bidder.
It is also important to securely attach your shipping label to the outside of the package, don't wrap your box with wrapping paper or kraft paper which rips and tears and lets the address be lost. Use the shipping labels the shipper allows you to print online, don't hand write the label using a ball point pen which can barely be seen.
Of course, none of these tips will help with things a shipper is sending to you!

/ Rant on shipping #1,684  
After a week or two and no word on our order, checked a different vendor who had stock (veterinary supplies). Ordered from them and cancelled the other order.

/ Rant on shipping #1,685  
My wife and I both sell quite a few things on Ebay and we both have worked in a USPS mail processing facility, she retired, I am still there, but my retirement is about two months away. Anyway, I get to see many packages get damaged during processing. Sometimes the contents remain with the package, sometimes they don't.
It is important, if you are shipping something, whether by USPS, UPS or Fedex or some other shipper, to package the item securely so it does not shift around inside the box during the processing. There is very little human handling of packages, or letters for that matter anymore. It is all done by machine which don't read your fragile, do not bend, glass, etc messages. The machines only look for an address, they also weigh and measure the package. I recommend placing an address label with the delivery address securely attached to the item inside the box you are shipping. If you can also attach a copy of the tracking barcode, that is even better. Then, in the unlikely event your contents get lost from it's box, at least the shipper will know where to send it after re-wrapping. If you don't have an address label on it, it will probably end up in the lost mail auction in Atlanta, sold to the highest bidder.
It is also important to securely attach your shipping label to the outside of the package, don't wrap your box with wrapping paper or kraft paper which rips and tears and lets the address be lost. Use the shipping labels the shipper allows you to print online, don't hand write the label using a ball point pen which can barely be seen.
Of course, none of these tips will help with things a shipper is sending to you!
A long time ago, I was hired by UPS as a holiday temp worker from T-Day through NYD at a load center in So Cal 11PM to 3AM. Huge place with at least 30 bays for semis to be loaded and I assume the same number on the opposite side of the building for unloading. In between, packages were sorted and placed on the appropriate outbound semis or local metro trucks. To get hired, you had to sit with a rolodex of city names and zipcodes and memorize them. I had Arizona along I-10. You then had your own 40 or 48 foot trailer to load by yourself. Once the packages start flowing into your truck, it's katy-bar-the-door. You were supposed to read the zip on every box, make sure it belonged, and then strike through with a grease marker. Crazy. You'd see everything from a box of ball bearings to a box with a bottle of wine in it (leaking ). 4-wheel drive bumpers, car tires etc.

/ Rant on shipping #1,686  
USPS pickup at a vendor 30 minutes west of me, then went to a USPS site 1 hour east of me. There is a big USPS hub not too far away. Guess I won't see my package for a while.

/ Rant on shipping #1,687  
I'll order something online and a few hours later get an email "YOUR PACKAGE HAS SHIPPED". Then I go to the appropriate web sites and see: follow the links further and see at UPS.
I don't see that a lot with stand alone companies.
I think E-Bay strongly encourages vendors to ship stuff quickly. So as soon as the order comes in, they'll create a label and mark it as shipped, but it could take them several days to actually drop it in the mail.
I rarely give negative feedback on E-Bay. However, I did have a vendor that marked the item as "shipped", but didn't add a tracking number. Then a couple of weeks later when it hadn't arrived I sent a note asking for a tracking number. The vendor never actually had the item, and simply forwarded the order to a drop shipper that also was out of stock. Nobody actually shipped the item they had marked as shipped.

Losing packages is rare.
However, I've had issues with USPS that they have decided to never deliver anything that doesn't fit in the mailbox. They'll leave the pink slip in the mailbox.
I took one in to get a package and they couldn't find it. I presume they had loaded the package back on the mail truck to drive around the neighborhood and never deliver it, and left another pink slip in the box.
When I took the second pick slip in, they told me they had probably simply sent the package back to the vendor. But they couldn't give me a full ID of who had sent it, and who they sent it back to.

/ Rant on shipping #1,688  
USPS pickup at a vendor 30 minutes west of me, then went to a USPS site 1 hour east of me. There is a big USPS hub not too far away. Guess I won't see my package for a while.
USPS has decided to consolidate sorting operations, I think nationwide.

So, if a letter or package is sent from a Eugene address to a Eugene address, it all gets shipped up to Portland, sorted, and shipped back to Eugene. Thus what should have been a next day delivery always takes 1 or 2 extra days.

/ Rant on shipping #1,689  
I had a package ship from Amazon the other day. It started at the closest Amazon hub to me. But it went from that hub in Missouri to California and has been to two different locations in Cali, and will eventually return to the same hub it was shipped from so they can drop it at the local post office.

/ Rant on shipping #1,690  
It is not too unusual for a package to get missorted due to mechanical problems or jams on the machine. If the person "sweeping" the machine doesn't keep the chutes clear, packages can and do end up in the wrong bin. If no one catches it, your package destined for Tulsa, may end up in Syracuse, where it will, hopefully be resorted to Tulsa. Lost time is the result. Also every time a package goes through a machine, there is a possibility of damage or even loss. Every so often, while doing maintenance work on processing equipment, I will find a small package which fell down "between the cracks" Hopefully it hasn't been there too long, but I will get it back on it's way to it's destination. I have found letters over a year old, but, considering how many mail pieces we process every day, the percentage of lost or damaged mail is tiny! But, if it is your mail that is lost or damaged, it is pretty important to you!