Railroad Iron Drag

/ Railroad Iron Drag #1  

threeman

Silver Member
I will let you know how it goes. Made it yesterday afternoon out of 16' piece of rail. I need to smooth out my pasture for sprigging.

/ Railroad Iron Drag #2  
Which side will you have facing forward, I was thinking with the top facing forward it may tend to ride up over bumps, but with the bottom facing forward it may cut better?

Just a thought, never tried it my self, was thinking of cutting a pc off a 20 footer I have but was going to make it maybe 6-8 feet long for grooming trails. At 16 ft if it works it'll leave a nice finish in a short time.

Good luck

/ Railroad Iron Drag #3  
You "Railroad Barons" make me jealous. I'd love to find a measley 6' piece of rail, but all you get around here when you inquire is a long blank stare
...Lucky dogs!

/ Railroad Iron Drag #4  
I wonder if you could weld stubs of rebar or 1" square stock, 4 inches long, extending an inch or 2 off one bottom edge. Maybe 2" apart. Then you could drag it with the teeth down to scarify a pasture or break up rough ground, or turn the rail over and drag the smooth side.

/ Railroad Iron Drag
I think that would work good for ripping ground. I can tell you that a 16' is pretty dang heavy if pulled low. It will let the 9540 know its back there in 4wd, 1st gear in high range. Keep in mind this dirt was turned about a month ago now with only one rain on it. Then harrowed once as well about two weeks ago. Pretty soft still. I have had to drag it twice to get tractor ruts out from first drag. I havent finished. It sucks to have to work for a living, but that is not a complaint in todays world. I just need to win the lottery. Then I wouldnt worry as much.

Also dont let anyone tell you a wire welder wont weld rusty metal. I welded rusted 3/8 chain to it yesterday from the front side down to the flat bottom side. (Pulls with top of rail forward) It pulls pretty good. I left enough chain to angle it however you want so that the dirt will run against it and fill in holes, or ruts. Works pretty good. I have another piece I think I am going to cut down for a drag behind the disk. I then wouldnt be doing what I doing now I dont think. I could have saved a trip over the pasture. Next year I am going to turn a 15ac pasture, this 4 acre was the test ground. They all have not been turned in 15 yrs or so.

/ Railroad Iron Drag #6  
Here is mine. If you close you can see that there is a cutting edge off of some kind of grader bolted to the bottom edge. Don't know who made it it was given to me. Works great on my 3/4 miles of dirt road.
100_0621.jpg

/ Railroad Iron Drag #7  
This is the one that I use to drag my road and fill the pot holes.

It was first built and pulled behind a truck, when I got the bigger tractor I changed it to a 3pt. The jack you see was being used to adjust the angle before the anchor points for the 3pt were welded on. The RR iron floats behind the thing to smooth out the ripples.

Attachments

• Drag for filling pot holes in road.JPG
    Drag for filling pot holes in road.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,271
  • 2003_0102Image0010.JPG
    2003_0102Image0010.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,551
  • 3 point mounting bracket.JPG
    3 point mounting bracket.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,393
   / Railroad Iron Drag #8  
I built one similar, using the three point hitch. Made it nine feet wide and it works great to scrape the driveway. Still don't know how to post pics, sorry.

/ Railroad Iron Drag #9  
Dirtroad, When you post a reply, scroll down below the "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons... and click on "Manage Attachments" (see photo). That will open a menu box where you'll want to click on "Browse" (top line). Find photo on your computer, then click Upload. Let me know if you need more help.

/ Railroad Iron Drag #10  
TEG, I have a question about posting pictures on this site. Do you have to size the pictures down? Like to maybe 100MB. The pictures I posted were less than 100MB. I am just curious.