Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,501  
A "must see" for any rail fan passing through Altoona PA is Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark:

Screenshot (86)a.png

Screenshot (87)a.png

Pack a lunch and spend some time at the viewing area. On average, 60 trains per day pass through. Watch the live video here:

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,502  
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #3,503  
I took a couple of pictures while on my bicycle ride today. I was going to make up a bunch of random names and numbers and say that’s what these engines are but I don’t know enough about trains to even make stuff up.
IMG_2836.jpeg
IMG_2837.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,504  
Our first place in Texas was across from a very active BNSF route; it took a little to get used to it, but before long I loved watching the trains go by.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#3,505  
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #3,506  
I took a couple of pictures while on my bicycle ride today. I was going to make up a bunch of random names and numbers and say that’s what these engines are but I don’t know enough about trains to even make stuff up.
View attachment 862606View attachment 862607
The lead locomotive is an General Electric ES44C4, which rides on three axle trucks, but only the leading and trailing axles are powered, making it an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement.
Couldn't make out the unit number on the trailing locomotive, but it has a different radiator, so it is probably a different variation of the ES44.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,507  
ROUND HOUSE; Where Mr Choo Choo drives engine in
and turn table turns engine around so
Mr Choo Choo can drive out same way he came in (turn table)

willy

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#3,509  
The lead locomotive is an General Electric ES44C4, which rides on three axle trucks, but only the leading and trailing axles are powered, making it an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement.
Couldn't make out the unit number on the trailing locomotive, but it has a different radiator, so it is probably a different variation of the ES44.
Why would they only have 2 axles driven??

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,510  
Lower weight/loading per axle and enough electric motor power from two axle motors per truck. Has been common on diesel passenger locos since way back, often to increase route availability on older lines.