Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,381  
I have a long time wood customer that has their home mounted on a turntable. They are not the original owners. I need to take a picture of it. At one time it did turn but with modern attachments it no longer does. It is about 4-5' off the ground, strange to look at.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,383  
On business in Omaha, HQ of the Union Pacific. They have their largest steam loco and diesel on display at a local park.
IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6281.JPG
IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6287.JPG
IMG_6291.JPG
IMG_6279.JPG
IMG_6280.JPG
IMG_6280.JPG

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,385  
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,386  
A 2-engine 8-axle locomotive far less versatile and useful over its lifespan than two 4-axle locomotives.

Bruce

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,387  
This is really, really a good video about engines, but covers many more aspects of trains and there control by the engines.
I should add that those draft gears, couplers and associated parts I used to change out as my job.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,388  
Why is the 6900 retired? Still looks like it’s ready to pull/push.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,389  
Why is the 6900 retired? Still looks like it’s ready to pull/push.
Yes, they retired a the 6900 series DDA40X locomotives back in 1984. The Centennials as they were called were introduced in 1969 for the 100 year celebration of the driving of the golden spike on the transcontinental railroad. There are still several on display, and the only operating example was donated to a railroad museum recently.
They were initially put in service to pull intermodal consists from the west coast over and through the mountains. Two Centennials and a GP40 would give them the 15,000HP required for the trips. Later models of the SD series, like the SD90MAC could nearly match the Centennials 6600HP with 6,000HP in one unit with only one prime mover. Also, with the newer electronic traction control systems, an SD40-2 unit could match a Centennial's starting tractive effort, though developing ~20,000lbs less continuous tractive effort.
At over 98 feet long and weighing in at ~550,00lbs, they were impressive units. I saw the one on display in Omaha on a trip west several years ago.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,390  
We took a scenic trade ride today In Arizona called the Verde Canyon. Nice 4 hour ride, a little food and scenery. The two engines were early 1950’s, I think EMD FP7. They were originally sent to Alaska and they had extra water for making steam and could go further. These were diesel electric so I didn’t understand the steam side of it. What I read on line was the steam was for heating the cars. Sound right?
4D1786FE-FBFB-48F8-854B-C62329A30840.jpeg