Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,371  
I was under the impression that automakers bagged new cars prior to loading.
I've never seen that done, nor ever heard of it.

I know when we had to ship postal vans to Hawaii, they were sprayed with some thick goo top to bottom, windows and all. We had to peel back a porthole in the windshield to see so we could drive them across town to the rail spurs we used.

It was everywhere. Just getting the door open was a sticky mess.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,375  
Laying in bed listening to the train whistles a few miles away. Love hearing them.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,377  
I must live the perfect distance from East Penn Railroad’s 2 lines that cross our 2 lane road. Just loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough to disrupt. I’m about 1 mile north of one and 2 miles south of the other.
Sometimes when the breeze is carrying the right way, it seems closer.
I think my local Railroad is one of the pillars of my community. They’ve had their share of problems, but they have endured and add to the structure and vitality of our area.

1674216682332.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,378  
I must live the perfect distance from East Penn Railroad’s 2 lines that cross our 2 lane road. Just loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough to disrupt. I’m about 1 mile north of one and 2 miles south of the other.
Sometimes when the breeze is carrying the right way, it seems closer.
I think my local Railroad is one of the pillars of my community. They’ve had their share of problems, but they have endured and add to the structure and vitality of our area.

We still have a short local railroad here. Started life (1917) to haul logs and paper to and from the paper mill. No logs or paper mill anymore.

Huge wind farm going up here locally. Two phases of 72 and 104 windmills. It takes 11 truck loads per unit, some as long as 267' and some 254k in weight. They claim they can build one per day.

What is kinda strange, is, the blades are brought in by train, switch in Holbrook, then they backtrack south of the main rail to Snowflake. The main rail goes right past the final delivery location west of Holbrook to Winslow. Now they are loaded on trucks and pass right through down town Holbrook, across the railroad tracks to I-40 and westbound. The blades are 225' long.

I am assuming the reasoning has to do with reloading them but I would think it would be cheaper and way easier to build a landing in Winslow. 27 blades on this load. About a 70 mile haul on surface streets, highways and freeway.

1674216123732.png

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,379  
We still have a short local railroad here. Started life (1917) to haul logs and paper to and from the paper mill. No logs or paper mill anymore.

Huge wind farm going up here locally. Two phases of 72 and 104 windmills. It takes 11 truck loads per unit, some as long as 267' and some 254k in weight. They claim they can build one per day.

What is kinda strange, is, the blades are brought in by train, switch in Holbrook, then they backtrack south of the main rail to Snowflake. The main rail goes right past the final delivery location west of Holbrook to Winslow. Now they are loaded on trucks and pass right through down town Holbrook, across the railroad tracks to I-40 and westbound. The blades are 225' long.

I am assuming the reasoning has to do with reloading them but I would think it would be cheaper and way easier to build a landing in Winslow. 27 blades on this load. About a 70 mile haul on surface streets, highways and freeway.

View attachment 779940

Lord help us….You can have those things. Wonder where they were made? I’d rather breath the air just like it is with fossil fuel power plants than look at those things.

Cool railroad pictures though!!! :ROFLMAO:

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,380  
Here is one of our last standing manufacturing facilities. As you can tell it’s been closed for over 20 years. It’s the old NVF plant in Hockessin, DE. It was served by a branch called the Wilmington & Western Railroad.
The railroad had an elevated trestle into one of the buildings and a small turntable. It was pretty neat back in the day. They are trying to decide what to do with the area now that the ground water has been cleaned up of heavy metal contamination (mostly zinc).
Plans include a park, a concert shell and some restaurants.

1674217604058.jpeg

Long lost days of America’s industrial might…..

1674217784968.jpeg

The Wilmington & Western Railroad has been relegated to scenic tours and is operated by a wealthy local man and a group of volunteers. I think I will volunteer once I hang up my farming operation.