Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,821  
Interesting composition showing the healthy winter ore stockpile at Lakehead in Duluth MN plus what I'm guessing was a bad order Minorca limestone cars there. May 11, 2023 View attachment 800610
I posted this photo to show the size of the winter stock pile of pellets that's dumped here over the winter. Its over 100 feet tall. That way the mines and pellet plants don't need to shut down over the months while lake shipping stops. The steel indsuty is all about large size.

#2,822  
I great video speaking of the flexible or what I though are called "spherical ball joints" found on steam locomotives with multi drive trucks like the 4014 has.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,823  
Van broke down on a railroad crossing about a mile from my house. They got out, fortunately, but an Amtrak passenger train hit it. No one on the train hurt, either. But...

caught on video!

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,824  
Had a slight scare with the local last week. It wasn’t really close, but I was tractoring bales across the ESPN tracks. VERY difficult to see, but I had to get it done.
Got across the tracks with bales, saw nothing. Then about 2 minutes later, heard the loud horn. They usually only run about 5-10MPH, but nothing anyone would want to mess with.

It’s not safe, but they do allow the crossing. Guess the only safer way is to have someone on the ground watching and signaling to me it’s ok to cross?

1684408733139.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,825  
Nice color scheme on those. (y)

When I was a kid, the South Shore did some freight in our town and had to cross an few unprotected crossings. They'd stop the train and put out railroad flares (fusee's) across the road, then move the train.

That's back when they had a caboose, too. ;)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,826  
It’s not safe, but they do allow the crossing. Guess the only safer way is to have someone on the ground watching and signaling to me it’s ok to cross?
Is there an old Stop Look Listen sign there? I wonder if shutting down the tractor and just listening for a minute might avoid a surprise.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,827  
We have about a dozen unprotected crossings into farm fields. Trees have grown & blocked vision. Have to proceed very carefully.
No stop look listen.
They do sound horns most times though.

#2,828  

Logo

Union Pacific Steam Club Update No. 27 - May 19, 2023
UP Steam

Union Pacific's famed Big Boy No. 4014, the world's largest steam locomotive still in operation, returns to the rails on June 7 for its Home Run Express Tour to Omaha, Nebraska, where it will be on display for 11 days during the college baseball championship.

The Big Boy will leave Cheyenne, Wyoming, on June 7, en route to Omaha. It will make whistle-stops in Wyoming and Nebraska, before returning to its home base in Cheyenne on July 3. During its Omaha display at Union Pacific's Home Plate, next to Charles Schwab Field, the public will be allowed to see the locomotive up close between June 15-21 and June 24-25 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Scheduled whistle-stops and public display:

• June 7 – Albin and LaGrange, Wyoming, overnight in Gering, Nebraska
  • June 8 – Broadwater and Lemoyne, Nebraska, overnight in North Platte
  • June 9 – North Platte layover
  • June 10 – Cozad, Kearney and Grand Island
  • June 11 – Columbus and Fremont
  • June 15-21 – Omaha, public display
  • June 24-25 – Omaha, public display
  • June 29 – Fremont, Columbus and Grand Island
  • June 30 – Overton and Gothenburg, overnight in North Platte
  • July 1 – North Platte layover
  • July 2 – Ogallala and Chappell, overnight in Sidney
  • July 3 – Kimball, Nebraska and Pine Bluffs, Wyoming

Details can be found on the Union Pacific Steam Schedule. A steam tracking map showing No. 4014's location and route will be available at upsteam.com.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,829  
If there is a Whistle post they should be blowing....

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,830  
If there is a Whistle post they should be blowing....
I've mentioned this before... when I was a little kid I could only find railroad tracks the traveled West or NorthWest. Couldn't figure out why there were no other directional signs....

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Merco Savory Food Warmer (A33041)
Merco Savory Food...
Sitrex SM-230 7' Finish Mower (A33526)
Sitrex SM-230 7'...
2008 DRAGON PRODUCT TANKER TRAILER (A32908)
2008 DRAGON...
Ocmis VR5 (A33526)
Ocmis VR5 (A33526)
Meter Loop (A33041)
Meter Loop (A33041)
Woods D-80 Shredder (A33041)
Woods D-80...