Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,851  
Here's a picture of the start of them. They go about a mile to the west (left).

That brick building in the photo is the old Bendix power plant building. It used to have a large smokestack with BENDIX in red on it. The cracked pavement looking areas are actually factory floor. They had to leave the floor in place as a cap to cover the environmental catastrophe that lurks underneath from decades of industrial fluids that contaminated the ground water. If they'd have removed the cap, they'd have had to do mor cleanup. So they keep it under control with air strippers and monitoring wells.

01FAC96F-8315-4AB1-AE22-BF9A62A87424.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,852  
Here's what it used to look like from the east. You can still see the power plant and tracks in that photo.

844B617C-3B34-481C-86B7-AFD185960A5B.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,853  
Well, theyre gone now. Probably same thing going on, but now in China.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,854  
Plus another mile or two to the east of Watton to Covington. It would be interesting to see who owns them.
Read the reporting mark above the car number, then look it up here:

Railcar-Reporting-Marks-300x300.jpeg

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,855  
Well, theyre gone now. Probably same thing going on, but now in China.
Who's gone? Bendix? They sold to Allied, then Allied Signal, then Honeywell, who still is in the plant. Only that one portion of the factory is gone. Part of the remaining to the west is empty, but part is still active. The part to the east is now home to Curtis Products, who makes tubing, mostly for John Deere.

Studebaker is gone too, by the way. 🙃

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,856  
One thing I'll mention about Bendix.... when I was a kid, I lived a couple miles to the north of that plant. We were not allowed to cross the road after 3:00pm, as that's when Bendix shift change happened. By 3:05 hundreds if not thousands of cars would be flying down the road leaving that plant. If you were stuck on the other side of the road, you might as well go to your friend's house and have a snack to wait it out.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#1,857  
I'd guess those are privately owned cars (not RR owned) and yes, they'd pay storage fees.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,858  
Wow. I had to google earth that. It's about 5 miles of cars as the crow flies.
Funny looks like the majority could be used to transport grain, but the biggest ag crop up there is the occasional
Small potato farm. I also don't think it's 5 miles long anymore so I guess they have been using them. I initially assumed it had something to do with mining as two pretty big mines one copper and one open pit iron mine closed in the last 30yrs.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,859  
As bcp pointed out, if you can read the lettering on the side you can determine who owns the car.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#1,860  
Funny looks like the majority could be used to transport grain, but the biggest ag crop up there is the occasional
Small potato farm. I also don't think it's 5 miles long anymore so I guess they have been using them. I initially assumed it had something to do with mining as two pretty big mines one copper and one open pit iron mine closed in the last 30yrs.
Those hoppers are made for lighter commodities like grain and many other things that don't weight all the much. Not ores which usually have specially cars.