R3 vs. R4

/ R3 vs. R4 #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
well my "new" 4720 has turfs. Bottom line, this machine will not be doing any "fine mowing". Primary use will be firewood, loader work, snow plowing, gravel drive maintenance etc Had I bought it new, I would have ordered R-4's

I have an opportunity to buy a complete set of R-4's (new) with rims. Dealer had a sales guy screw up and does not want to pay freight/restocking etc. My tractor has 230 hoiurs so the Turfs look good-

Any thoughts?

/ R3 vs. R4 #2  
I think you answered your own question. The R4's are better suited to the tasks you mentioned. However I would prefer the R3's in the snow.

Matt:thumbsup:

/ R3 vs. R4 #3  
Get the R4's, but keep the R3's. Then you can tailor the shoes you choose to wear to the conditions.

I have R1's for my 955, but there are times when I wish I had a set of R3's. For instance, I need to some landscaping and the loader would be a huge help in getting this done. However, the ground is soft enough right now from a some rains and the freeze-thaw cycle over winter that I don't dare drive the tractor with R1's out into the yard.

/ R3 vs. R4 #4  
I would jump on them, as long as your getting a good deal. The R4s are much superior to the R3s in my opinion. I'm like you and don't do much on the lawn, so I have 2 tractors with R4s and one with R1s. R4s are the best overall tire.

See if the dealer will give you a good deal on your tires or throw them up in eBay and someone will snatch them up!