Quick question

/ Quick question #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
a
I have a Kubota L2501. I bought a hydraulic winch the other day which I am planning another logging winch build, I would like to test the winch so I came up with the idea of disconnecting the two quick connects for the loader curl function and using them to test the winch. Would this work long term? In other words, when I get to the woods I can un do the curl function and hook the winch to the quick connects.
Thoughts?
My other option is to buy a PTO hydraulic pump and incorporate a small reservoir into the winch and run it that way.

/ Quick question #2  
I am not an expert, but IMHo hydraulic is hydraulic. You just have to take care of flow and pressure. If it fits, then it will work

/ Quick question #3  
I wouldn't do that mount to the loader permanently. No matter how carefully you think you are being you'll be putting forces on your tractor and loader that it's just not built for.
For testing, I'm not sure what test your wanting to do other than seeing if the winch drum turns, but that should be fine.
A front frame or 3 point hitch, even the draw bar is where you need to be. 👍
Take us along if you do a build!
Member ptsg? has a thread here on a front frame mounted winch he built (very nicely too).

/ Quick question
I wouldn't do that mount to the loader permanently. No matter how carefully you think you are being you'll be putting forces on your tractor and loader that it's just not built for.
For testing, I'm not sure what test your wanting to do other than seeing if the winch drum turns, but that should be fine.
A front frame or 3 point hitch, even the draw bar is where you need to be. 👍
Take us along if you do a build!
Member ptsg? has a thread here on a front frame mounted winch he built (very nicely too).
I either miswrote or you misread, I have no intentions of mounting it to the loader, just using the hydraulics since the loader has quick connect hydraulics, it will still be a 3 point mount. Sorry for any confusion.
Yes, test just confirm mobility.

/ Quick question #5  
Its probably fine for a test but maybe not for permanent use.

Your loader valve may have regen on the curl circuit. That makes the bucket dump faster. Not all have it but many do. If you use that port to reel the winch in it may have less power than you'd expect from the flow and pressure.

Speaking of flow and pressure, the winch and loader need to be reasonably matched. Winches intended to be run off a truck's power steering typically call for around 3 gpm and under 1500 psi where your loader valve may have 4 or 5 gpm and 2400 psi. You'll need to find the specs and make sure the winch won't be over pressured by the tractor.

/ Quick question #6  
a
. Would this work long term? In other words, when I get to the woods I can un do the curl function and hook the winch to the quick connects.
Thoughts?
The "long term" got me.👍
I built a similar project with a hydraulic winch and it morphed in a winch & grapple. What winch did you get?

/ Quick question
thanks for the replies so far !
I hadn't thought about over pressurizing the winch with the loader control valve.
It has a char-Lynn motor on it
Here is the number on it along with a pic of said winch.
TPT7bE1.jpg

639HOUnl.jpg

vUsjyHXl.jpg

Winch is upside down on purpose. LOL
Idea! Perhaps I could run it off the third function remote?

/ Quick question #8  
I have one of those winches too... They are very slooooooow, I hope you can take a chair to the woods to be comfortable while you wait for it. lol They are made as a "recovery" winch, not a logging winch.

Just put a set of remotes on the rear of your tractor and run it off them...

SR

/ Quick question
Here are the specs of the motor, looks like my tractor loader control should work fine.
I am thinking of re-gearing the motor via sprockets, right now the two sprockets are of equal size, I'm thinking I can upsize the motor sprocket and downsize the wormgear side sprocket thereby increasing the speed at which the worm gears run.
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Disp. 2.8 cu. in. / rev.
  • Motor Type Gerotor
  • Pressure:
    1800 PSI cont.
    2400 PSI int.
  • Torque:
    650 in-lbs. cont.
    876 in-lbs. int.
  • Speed:
    969 RPM cont.
    1127 RPM int.
  • Flow:
    12 GPM cont.
    14 GPM int.
  • Rotation Reversible
  • Mount 4 bolt 3.25" B.C.
  • Shaft 1" dia. x 1-3/4" keyed
  • Ports 1/2" NPT
  • Case Drain N/A
  • Size 5-1/4" x 3-5/16" x 3-5/16"
  • Shpg. 13 lbs.

/ Quick question #10  
969 rpm? 16 rotations per second?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2482 20' SHIPPING CONTAINER (A34733)
2482 20' SHIPPING...
SET OF 20' ENTRY GATES W/ DEER DESIGN (A34808)
SET OF 20' ENTRY...
4987 TS6.110 NEW HOLLAND C/A MFD POWER SHUTTLE 3354HRS 3354 S/N:HCDZ110CEKNT02428 (A34733)
4987 TS6.110 NEW...
EXCAVATOR BUCKET... (A34808)
EXCAVATOR...
(10) 4X5.5 ROUND BALES OF BERMUDA / NATIVE GRASS HAY...... YOUR BID X 10 (A34808)
(10) 4X5.5 ROUND...
New 7' Workbench with 10 Drawers & 2 Cabinets (A34302)
New 7' Workbench...