Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #1  

AirOpsMgr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310SE, Scag Cheetah II 72"
Howdy y'all, a couple quick questions regarding the use of a Woodland Mills WC88 chipper on a Kioti DK5310SE.

The chipper is due to arrive later today (ordered this past Sat and got a msg from RL carriers for delivery availability of yesterday, but had them schedule to deliver today); Very impressed with the quick processing, actually shocked I got in less than a week as I was expecting at least 2 weeks.

Anyway, wanted to ask a couple of questions so I'm clear on proper setup & use.

Woodland Mills spec sheet indicates required PTO HP of 35 to 100+, Kioti lists the DK5310SE HST PTO at 39.3; with this said, what is a reasonable performance expectation for this combination without stalling it out (using a reduced infeed speed) and not causing undue wear/tear?

I bought the 8" for the larger infeed size & doubt I'll ever chip anything bigger than 6" as any bigger would go to the firewood pile, but if I do come across punk or rotted larger than 4", it would get chipped & wonder what my practical expectations should be.

Next, I realize I need to size the PTO shaft, but wanted to ask those with similar tractors with a quick-hitch how much adjustment was required to properly size the PTO shaft and how much height adjustment on the chipper was needed. I know how to measure and cut the PTO on both sides, but figured I'd check with others to see what to expect.

Lastly, I understand the chipper requires 5 gals of Hyd fluid, either ISO 32 or 46, I live in middle Georgia and will be operating the unit in temperatures ranging from 40° to 95°, I suspect the median average will be in the 80's; does anyone have a recommendation for which Hyd fluid would best suit those temps?

I keep a spare 5gal bucket of Permatran 821XL Semi-Synthetic hyd oil, would that work?

Thanks & best regards,
Greg

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #2  
Good luck with your new toy! I think the PTO will just need less cut off if anything. The quick Hitch moves the implements further away from the tractor.
One thing to consider when using the PTO is clearance between the PTO shaft and a drawbar.
This picture shows what happens when the rototiller PTO shaft interferes with the hitch ball on the drawbar.
20240121_120122.jpg

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #3  
The owners manual for the chipper may be able to answer the viscosity question. If they have the manual online you could find out before the unit arrives.

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #4  
The chipper operators manual should show you how to measure and cut the PTO shaft - if necessary.

Less HP - slower input speed - - you should be OK. You will soon learn what it will handle and what will stop it.

One VERY important thing. Do everything within your power to keep whatever you will be chipping out of the mud and dirt. Dirt and mud have a very negative effect on chipper blades.

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #5  
You should be fine, I run the next size down on my 3510 no problem.
I remove the drawbar when using PTO, just to be sure I don't hit it.
Watch that punky rotten stuff. The feed roller tends to chew it up and not pull it into the chipper. Ive also found when chipping hardwoods like oak it does better when it's green rather than dry.
Keep a small saw handy to take off side branches that jam it up.
Have fun, I really like my chipper.

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE
Thanks @Dave Canfield, @oosik, & @cholland, I appreciate your input.

As for the Hyd fluid recommendation, I did call Wooland Mills today and asked about fluid, they said they couldn't comment on any fluid unless it was specifically ISO 32 or ISO 46, but did say that for my temps, ISO 32 wld be best.

Now I guess the only question left is whether or not my current 5 gal bucket of Permatran 821XL semi-synthetic hyd fluid (listed as 10W30) is similar enough to ISO 32, or should I just go by a bucket of hyd that is specifically labeled as "ISO 32" hyd fluid?

As for the unit itself, RL carriers ran a bit late, but it's here waiting to be unboxed when I get time tomorrow ....

20240209_212116.jpg

Brgds,
Greg

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #7  
Here's what I put in myWC 68...running it on a 26 HP (19 at PTO) Kubota . The Woodland rep said my selection of a 5 gallon pail of ISO-46 was alright for my temperature range here in Kansas. That was July of 2019. BTW, I have put lots of hours on the machine with no issues chipping several varietys of tree limbs ( less than 6 inches) and even some shrubs. The ISO-46 was $75 at that time.
[ATT
001.JPG
ACHREUSE][/ATTACHREUSE]

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE
Here's what I put in myWC 68...running it on a 26 HP (19 at PTO) Kubota . The Woodland rep said my selection of a 5 gallon pail of ISO-46 was alright for my temperature range here in Kansas. That was July of 2019. BTW, I have put lots of hours on the machine with no issues chipping several varietys of tree limbs ( less than 6 inches) and even some shrubs. The ISO-46 was $75 at that time.
[ATTView attachment 851441ACHREUSE][/ATTACHREUSE]
Thanks for the info!

Incidentially, I had also texted one of our head mechanics at the job and posed the same question to him before I posted my last, he just responded a few minutes ago and basically said I would be wasting really good hyd fluid (and $$) if I used my Permatrans and suggested I just go buy a bucket of ISO 32 if that's what WM suggested.

He also said that while ISO 46 is indeed better for prolonged use at higher temps, he doesn't think I'll see any difference between the 2 unless I'm above 100° and working the heck out of the unit as ISO 32 will work fine into my temps ... and then added, BUT, if I were in Phoenix in July when it's 115° in the shade, then I should definitely use ISO 46, lol

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #9  
I have the same chipper on my ns 5310..you can put whatever you want in that chipper and the tractor won't care..I did have to cut my PTO shaft down and I probably should have raised it up to make the shaft more level but I haven't yet and it ran fine all last season.

/ Questions about wood chipper on DK5310SE #10  
The steel crate that it comes in can be repurposed. I was going to add wheels to the steel pallet and use it as a storage cart for the chipper the garage. It ended up being too tall so I made a cart out of wood with recessed wheels. The upper portion of the crate got converted into a bbq stand.