Question on strength vs looks

/ Question on strength vs looks #11  
Or does it matter?
I am building some 48" grapples and the design I came up with has the lower rectangular tube coming through the end tines as seen in the pic.
My thinking was that this is where a lot of force gets placed. Now that it's welded up I'm thinking to redesign the piece and remove the cut out and have the tube stop inside the tine.
I guess the question is do you think it will be strong enough just welded to the inside. I believe it will be. I now think it will look better without the hole.
V2GYvJ1.jpg
Are you talking about appeal to women? They tend to prefer form over function.

/ Question on strength vs looks #12  
Or does it matter?
I am building some 48" grapples and the design I came up with has the lower rectangular tube coming through the end tines as seen in the pic.
My thinking was that this is where a lot of force gets placed. Now that it's welded up I'm thinking to redesign the piece and remove the cut out and have the tube stop inside the tine.
I guess the question is do you think it will be strong enough just welded to the inside. I believe it will be. I now think it will look better without the hole.
V2GYvJ1.jpg
If it's going on the 2501 I think it's more than plenty strong.

/ Question on strength vs looks #13  
I prefer function over looks. However, based on experience I would cap the ends. If they don't fill up with dirt it will be a great meeting place for hornets next summer.

Either way that's a really nice build that you are doing. I envy talented people. 👍

/ Question on strength vs looks #14  
Looking good! Can see it’s not your first rodeo.
I would cap the ends for looks and strength. The outer tines tend to get most of the torque load stress. Gussets are great way to add strength without much weight. Particularly at the tips.

/ Question on strength vs looks
Thank you all for the words.
Tips will be getting gussets.
I am making them for a few compact tractors.
The rectangular tube is 2"x3"x3/16" and the top one is 2"x4"x3/16"
The tines are all 3/8"
I think I will leave it as is, I may if I get bored weld a cap on them.
For reference, the one I have on my tractor (Kubota L2501) only has 2"x3"x1/8" tube with 1/4" tines and I have beat the heck out of it and so far other than a couple of bent tips (I added some triangle parts to the tips) it is doing quite well.
I'll have to get a pic of the revisions on it tomorrow.
kx6cSJq.jpg

I found a couple of mine as it is right now
PZdWFdz.jpg

knO1RTnl.jpg

/ Question on strength vs looks #16  
I'd weld caps over the openings but B4 capping I'd slosh some oil inside.
Nothing likes to rust out more than tubing that is un protected on the inside.

Another option, once oiled, is to pound fitted wooden plugs. (also be generous with the oil)

I don't know how many trailers built with square tubing that I've seen all bulged and rusted badly.
Like it or not, water will get in there unless plugged or capped.

(In aviation oiling inside tubing structures was a common practice with linseed oil the choice.)

/ Question on strength vs looks #17  
I have 3 grapples and my personal opinion is that the two lower end tines carry the bulk of the vertical load due to overhang one side or the other. I would not make the cutout in the end tines to keep them stronger vertically. Maybe it is me and how I use my grapples, but I do not put much horizontal stress on them. I like to lift straight up and know my FELs are not a dozers. I think a weld there would be fine. An open tube is a collection point for mud.

/ Question on strength vs looks #18  
It's done, just use it.... If it really bothers you that there is a hole in end, put a plate on it to plug hole...

/ Question on strength vs looks #19  
Or does it matter?

V2GYvJ1.jpg
I don't think it matters. And looks fine. You have a decent design and good looking welds. To fail it would have to either shear at the welded grapple or twist the square tubing.... and I don't see either happening. 3/8 steel for the tines!! Wow!
Especially not now that you have those forward round tubes.
Stop worrying; it looks fine.
rScotty

/ Question on strength vs looks #20  
I am making them for a few compact tractors ...
If making multiples, I'd suggest not notching out the end tines. Just butt weld the tube to the tine, creating a completely enclosed tube.