Question on strength vs looks

/ Question on strength vs looks #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Or does it matter?
I am building some 48" grapples and the design I came up with has the lower rectangular tube coming through the end tines as seen in the pic.
My thinking was that this is where a lot of force gets placed. Now that it's welded up I'm thinking to redesign the piece and remove the cut out and have the tube stop inside the tine.
I guess the question is do you think it will be strong enough just welded to the inside. I believe it will be. I now think it will look better without the hole.
V2GYvJ1.jpg

/ Question on strength vs looks #2  
Or does it matter?
I am building some 48" grapples and the design I came up with has the lower rectangular tube coming through the end tines as seen in the pic.
My thinking was that this is where a lot of force gets placed. Now that it's welded up I'm thinking to redesign the piece and remove the cut out and have the tube stop inside the tine.
I guess the question is do you think it will be strong enough just welded to the inside. I believe it will be. I now think it will look better without the hole.
V2GYvJ1.jpg
Agreed!

/ Question on strength vs looks #3  
I would say function over looks. You could fit a plate inside the tube end and weld it solid for looks.

/ Question on strength vs looks #4  
I agree with you can put a plate on it. (I'm all about function over form unlike my wife who doesn't care how good it works as long as it's pretty)

/ Question on strength vs looks #5  
If you want it stronger, put a triangle gusset between the rect tube, and the tooth at each joint.

The problem with that is it will be a place for brush to hang, and not dump cleanly,,

/ Question on strength vs looks #6  
How strong does it have to be?

/ Question on strength vs looks #7  
How strong does it have to be?
That. Is kind of theoretical but inside or out here wont matter. Built out of heavy enough stock and it doesnt need gussets. They are often used where main members are lighter, adds a lot of e ta pieces and lots more weld
I saw a hitch job a while back where the designer had increased the member a little to elimanate the need for all the extra pieces.

/ Question on strength vs looks #8  
Saw a bench here touted as simple, had 80 pieces , hundred ft of weld to do what 13 would do with 8 or 10 ft of weld. 60 pieces added absolutely nothing to it.

/ Question on strength vs looks #9  
48" means it's going on a tractor that I'd estimate that you'd completely destroy the factory loader before you damaged that grapple.
Nice job 👍
If it bugs you, you could cut another pair of those main bars that capped the notch and doubled up the corner bars, they will take the most abuse. I'd make them about 3/4" smaller so that you have a good place to weld it. But the more it weighs...... you know the rest.