Question about starters and fuel

/ Question about starters and fuel #31  
I think the question is how long should any machine idle if not being used? I think we can all agree 2 hours is to long, but restarting a tractor every minute is to short. I think with modern DPF systems the amount of idle time should be shorter.
You could always have the tractor parked and pointing down hill and 'bump
start it.... If it has a gear transmission. Don't believe that works with an HST...

/ Question about starters and fuel #32  
Good idea for a plain manual transmission and manual linkage clutch, done so many a time with the older tractors.
Doesn't work good with many of the newer ones (last 30 years) hydraulic clutches, power shifts, power shuttles, IVT's, CVT's and then those pesky hydrostatics.
My IH 574 and the Ford 8000 on the farm are both hard starters in the winter but a short tow or coast and they are up and running.

/ Question about starters and fuel #33  
I'm generally in the 5/15 club as a couple others have commented. When I had the Cub Cadet 6284, I let it idle for longer in cold weather as the Cat (Perkins built) engine wasn't good in the cold. The Kubota I'm far more willing to shut off, even for a couple minutes.

/ Question about starters and fuel #35  
I wonder about the new vehicles that shut off when you come to a traffic light and then restart again. Wonder how long the starters will last???
I disabled mine on my 17 Pacifica. Already had to replace the small starter battery

/ Question about starters and fuel #36  
For those if you who insist that the AutoStop can simply be disabled in "Settings" or even with a switch, look into GMs system, like my 2018 Malibu or 2017 Buick Envision.
That " feature" can NEVER be over-ridden! EVER!
The only way to disable it is to shift into L1, then push the manual shift button 5 more times to L6-----EVERY TIME YOUR WHEELS STOP TURNING!!! Then remember to move the shifter back into Drive. Very annoying.

/ Question about starters and fuel #37  
No switch on my new to me Chevy, put it in low and push button till it has 9 on the dash. Wish there is a switch, friends newer chevy has a switcho_O

Last edited:
   / Question about starters and fuel #38  
My BIL is a design engineer at Fords and he told me you can defeat the auto start feature on new Fords by removing part of the center console and accessing the switch wiring. What he didn't tell me was what you do with the wires as far as reconfiguring them....lol

/ Question about starters and fuel #39  
My techy son tells me you can purchase an "over ride" module for the GM product, to plug into the OBD port. He guesses $40-50.

/ Question about starters and fuel #40