Quality Gardening Tools

/ Quality Gardening Tools #31  
Wolfe are nice but expensive, German and we use Felco secatuers which are arguably the best you can get.

I had to look up Secatuers… This was what I saw first. B-21 Fine Wine & Spirits

I can see where it may ease your aches after gardening but... :D

Felco's can't be beat. I felt a little frivolous spending the money; after all, my parents ran a greenhouse/flower shop all of their lives and always got by with less expensive pruners. They were well worth the money though, especially when I was pruning 60 full sized apple trees every year. Besides, I've probably spent a lot more than that on all of the junk pruners I've bent and thrown away over the years.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #32  
I'm just too old for much of that manual stuff. If it can not be done with an implement on my tractor - its most likely not gonna be done.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #33  
We have Felcos and inherited my late Mothers set about 4 years ago, she died in the mid 90's and had had them for quite some time, the design had not changed and parts are readily available, cost us $35 to have them refurbished and they are like new, the ones I bought cost about $120 but will only need replacing if the are lost.
Bought a cheap post hole di9gger, the two shovel blades that are hinged, broke at the hinge second time we used it, I don't learn.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #34  
I purchased two shovels in the last 4 days,, (both fiberglass handled)

1) is a Razor-Back round nose long handle ($30)
2) is a Ames square nose long handle (on sale at a local hardware, $15)

Both shovels measure to be 14 gauge,, the finish on each is radically different,
The Razor-Back has a double steel handle connection,, which makes the shovel feel twice as heavy,, literally.

Both shovels have WAY OVERSIZED foot step,, so, I hope that makes digging easier,,
I had never seen a shovel with such a large step before,,

We will see how they do,,
The Razor-Back is USA made,, I did not look at where the Ames $15 shovel was made,,,

/ Quality Gardening Tools #35  
Hey All,

Is it possible to purchase quality garden tools in the USA? I'm talking about shovels, hoes, rakes, etc.

Kevin

If you can find them check out Wolverine Wolverine Hand Tools | Tools Not Toys out of Holland Michigan . There higher end stuff pricey but worth it IMO . I have a couple of there all steel spades , etc . There motto is "Tools no Toys" .

Attachments

• LH12DP-steel-spade-12-in-diamond-blade.jpg
    LH12DP-steel-spade-12-in-diamond-blade.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 54
   / Quality Gardening Tools #37  
We have had decent lick with the tools we buy at our local Agway store here. The Lowes / Home Depot stuff is just simply junk. The Agway stuff is always more expensive but you buy it once.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #38  
Fiskars makes great stuff. I have one of their pole pruners, axe, extendable limb saw, several of the loppers, and my wife has several of the hand pruners. All quality tools. Do they make hoes, shovels, etc.?

Strike machete's from that Fiskars list. They're about as sorry as anything I ever paid good money for. I do like their pruners and loppers though. Very durable.
On the dark side of hoes and shovels, I hope to never have to wear one out.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #39  
We have had decent lick with the tools we buy at our local Agway store here. The Lowes / Home Depot stuff is just simply junk. The Agway stuff is always more expensive but you buy it once.

+1 on Agway tools. Unfortunately, a lot of their stores around here have closed in recent years.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #40  
Not made in the USA but certainly priced rite . I own the Stihl pro maul (Big OX) and the Stihl pro wood splitter axe. They are made in Germany by Ochsenkopf / Gedore . I have found the ones that say Stihl on them are priced cheaper . You can pick them up at some JD tractor dealers or some private mom and pop lawn equipment stores .

They go for 100 bucks plus tax (Stihl branded) and worth every penny imo . They have overstrike collars on them btw .
Heres a comparison vid , I have one of each .

Stihl Pro Splitting Axe vs Pro Splitting Maul - YouTube

Attachments

• prosplitmaul (1).png
    prosplitmaul (1).png
    44.7 KB · Views: 48
  • stihl-7010-881-1904-pa50-pro-series-splitting-axe-with-hicko-B01J05RHII-500x500 (1).jpg
    stihl-7010-881-1904-pa50-pro-series-splitting-axe-with-hicko-B01J05RHII-500x500 (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 46