Quality Gardening Tools

/ Quality Gardening Tools #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hey All,

Is it possible to purchase quality garden tools in the USA? I'm talking about shovels, hoes, rakes, etc.

Last year I bought two garden hoes and both are made from junk steel that won't hold an edge or even take one for that matter. The same is true with the shovel I bought this year. I'm to the point where I think I need to check out estate sales and buy some tools that are at least 40 years old. I remember my dad sharpening tools that would hold an edge all summer.

Kevin

/ Quality Gardening Tools #3  
Just because it says "Made in USA" doesn't mean that it's good quality. I bought a digging spade which I really liked at the local surplus/salvage store (Marden's, for anybody familiar with Maine.) I let somebody use it and she insisted that I gave it to her, so I spent about 3 times as much to replace it with a USA brand with a lifetime warrantee... the first time that I used the thing I folded the blade. Then the pins in the fiberglass handle loosened up so the D handle was floppy. Last week I was setting property line cornerposts with a coworker when mentioned that it would be a great shovel for cleaning lags on his excavator... at the end of the day I put it in the back of his truck.

So to repeat the OP's question; where can I buy a decent digging spade, preferably USA made? (Actually the Ames spade from the link above me might be worth looking into... if I can find one.)

/ Quality Gardening Tools #4  
Ive had some name brands fold the blade also. Will never buy another “premium” fiberglass handled shovel. I have already replaced all those handles with wood due to breakage.

I have a large hoe that was made in Austria and it holds an edge excellent and its about 30 years old.

While looking at the shovels stand on the blade and see how much flex there is when you put pressure on the handle.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #7  
Lowes - Kobalt brand looks solid point of origin unknown

/ Quality Gardening Tools #8  
We've had good luck with Razorback brand from Tractor Supply.

/ Quality Gardening Tools #9  
   / Quality Gardening Tools #10