Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket #11  
I spent many years installing playground equipment. When young and strong, I'd mix by hand. Later on, a cement mixer was toted around. Then came Quickcrete, you poured it in the hole and just added water. Life became easier.

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket #12  
. . .If using the tractor bucket, make sure you clean it very well. I have concrete on several pieces of equipment that seems impossible to get off. Unbelievably impossible!

^2. In high school I had a summer job tending hod for a mason. Cleaning cement from tools, tub, or whatever requires rubbing, be it hand, brush, or rag. Just spraying water leaves a residue that becomes permanent.

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket #13  
If using the tractor bucket, make sure you clean it very well. I have concrete on several pieces of equipment that seems impossible to get off. Unbelievably impossible!
^3 I used my tractor bucket for concrete and didn't get it all cleaned off right away. 15 years later, there is still concrete on it.

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket #14  
^3 I used my tractor bucket for concrete and didn't get it all cleaned off right away. 15 years later, there is still concrete on it.

And what has it hurt in the last 15 years?

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket
Just finished my job. TEN 80 lb bags (800 pounds) of Quickrete mixed up in the little BX bucket. Piece of cake. As soon as I finished the pour I drove over to my woods and dumped a tiny bit of leftover concrete out and drug the hose over, rinsed and not a singe grain of concrete in the bucket. Washes off super easy. No biggie at all, I highly recommend it.

Attached is a photo of the bucket sitting in my garage after I was finished. No evidence of 800 pounds of concrete being mixed in that bucket an hour earlier.

IMG_4214.jpg

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket #16  
A hole in the ground is a proper tool for mixing Quickrete.
This is my method for anything being set in the ground. Just mix it in the hole, cover it with dirt and move on.

Of course when it comes to mortar or concrete for a pad, I use a more refined method.

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket #17  
Just finished my job. TEN 80 lb bags (800 pounds) of Quickrete mixed up in the little BX bucket. Piece of cake. As soon as I finished the pour I drove over to my woods and dumped a tiny bit of leftover concrete out and drug the hose over, rinsed and not a singe grain of concrete in the bucket. Washes off super easy. No biggie at all, I highly recommend it.

Attached is a photo of the bucket sitting in my garage after I was finished. No evidence of 800 pounds of concrete being mixed in that bucket an hour earlier.

View attachment 602788
Not even a shovel scratch in that bucket!

Almost makes me feel bad for loading a pile of busted up concrete with mine today!
Ha ha....almost!

/ Qickrete Mixing Question - Tractor Bucket
This is my method for anything being set in the ground. Just mix it in the hole, cover it with dirt and move on.

Of course when it comes to mortar or concrete for a pad, I use a more refined method.

I considered that. There was water in the hole already. But I am putting up a giant very expensive NCAA regulation sized basketball goal up for my boy. I doubt he'll ever put much hurt on the goal, but you never know what friends he might have over. So I pumped the water out of the hole, mixed in my bucket. Hole is over 4 feet deep and 16 inches diameter and last foot at the bottom was 20 inches diameter at the bottom. Once I was 3/4 way up I put in 4 pieces of rebar, then covered those, smoothed and placed the anchor system in. This foundation is a beast...but for fence posts and what not I'm just mixing in the hole.